RPM problems with PERL dependency

Post by Wendell Ding » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 11:24:00

On over a dozen machines I've not had any problem installing various
packages from the IBM Toolbox site in .RPM format. On 3 machines
though I get a failed dependency on /usr/bin/perl on samba and a few
other things. I've de-installed and re-installed the perl .rpm binary
to no avail. By default the binary gets installed to
/usr/opt/freeware/bin/perl and I tried symlinking to it, copying the
binary there, etc...

In all 3 cases the machines are at the exact same level as all the
others, 4.3.3 ML9 (clean, no oslevel -r or isntfix missing filesets or
problems).

# rpm -ivh samb*
error: failed dependencies:
        /usr/bin/perl is needed by samba-2.2.1a-1

All other .RPM packages I installed on the numerous other machines are
installed on these 3 as well. Any idea of a base AIX fileset that
might cause this problem? A remnant of some shareware package from
freeware.bull.net perhaps? I have nothing other than monitor.2.1.9
from there installed but previously had a few other things. No other
perl is installed, including the AIX base package. I also tried
installing that perl.rte package to see if it would make a difference
and it didn't.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

RPM problems with PERL dependency

Post by Marc Stephens » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 03:57:14

After you installed perl.rte, you need to run /usr/sbin/updtvpkg
to let rpm know that installp has satisfied the dependency.  The perl
in the Toolbox does not install into /usr/bin because it is not supposed
to interfere with the perl.rte provided by AIX (but it's there for some things
which needed the newer level of perl on AIX 4.3.3).

Once you had /usr/bin/perl in place, you could have specified --nodeps
to tell rpm to ignore the dependencies.  Since you knew that was the
only missing dependency that would have been safe.

You'll get quicker answers to Toolbox questions on the Toolbox
mailing list.

--
Marc Stephenson                        IBM Server Group - Austin,TX

1. problems with dependency when trying to install perl-ParallelUserAgent-2.43-6.i386.rpm

Hi,

I am using RH 7.

I am trying to install perl-ParallelUserAgent-2.43-6.i386.rpm but I am
getting

error: failed dependencies:
        perl >= 5.00503 is needed by perl-ParallelUserAgent-2.43-6

If I do rpm -qa|grep perl I get:

perl-5.6.0-9
groff-perl-1.16-7
mod_perl-1.24-4
openssl-perl-0.9.5a-14

So what does this all mean and how do I deal with it?  It looks to me like
it wants and old version of Perl.

Maybe there is another way to add the perl module I need.  I am trying to
get it so that I can use:

use LWP::UserAgent;
use HTTP::Request;

Thanks in advance for any help.

Randy

2. Best Linux Web Server, anyone?

3. RPM dependency problem

4. linux trashing /dev/hda1 and/or track 0

5. rpm and gtk dependencies problems

6. UDP traffic > port 1000 is blocked on the system

7. rpm 2.2 problem, cannot find dependencies

8. Infinite symbolic link and pine 4.21

9. rpm libdb.so.2 dependency problems

10. Dependencies problem during RPM installation

11. problems installing RPMs for 1.1.1/Qt dependencies

12. Problem with dependencies of an RPM pacakge

13. RPM dependencies problem