43P-260 firmware errors - boot fails

Post by Richard Britta » Thu, 15 May 2003 01:07:52

We have a 43P-260 that crashed during power brownouts and now doesn't get
very far at all in the boot process.  It pauses for a long time at
checkpoint E298 or E297 on the LEDs, then stops with code 40A00000.
The service manuals list this as a firmware IPL failure.  I've tried
downloading a new firmware image onto floppy and installing it through
the Service Processor menus (on a terminal on the TTY port - at least
that part still works), but it gets to the same point and stops, without
(apparently) reading anything off the floppy.  The last visible sign
of activity before failure is that the floppy drive activates, but the light
stays on forever.

If anyone has seen similar behaviour I'd love to hear about it - even better if
you figured out how to fix it!.

Thanks,
   Richard Brittain
--
Richard Brittain,  Kiewit Computing Services, 6224 Baker/Berry Library
                   Dartmouth College, Hanover NH 03755

43P-260 firmware errors - boot fails

Post by Dan Foste » Thu, 15 May 2003 03:16:41

Quote:> We have a 43P-260 that crashed during power brownouts and now doesn't get
> very far at all in the boot process.  It pauses for a long time at
> checkpoint E298 or E297 on the LEDs, then stops with code 40A00000.
> The service manuals list this as a firmware IPL failure.  I've tried

No idea if same thing but we once had a 260 that wouldn't come back up
after a normal shutdown+reboot... we eventually (with IBM's assistance)
traced this to a firmware bug - I don't recall details other than the
firmware bug had corrupted the NVRAM but it's fixed in newer firmware.

IBM had to clear the NVRAM then do a firmware upgrade to get it to boot
correctly.

This was our fault for not having kept it up to date on firmware revs.
Since then, we've been real good about that ;) We usually try to upgrade
microcode on each system about once a year, usually coinciding with some
other scheduled maintenance (eg patching).

-Dan

1. 7043-260 RS/6000 43P-260

Elarasys, Inc. has an over stock of the below systems, own your own
64-Bit System:

7043-260 RS/6000 43P Model 260
1.44MB 3.5-in Diskette Drive
Integrated Ultra SCSI Adapter
Integrated Ethernet Adapter
Service Processor
32x Speed CD-ROM Drive
3029 9.1GB 1" UltraSCSI 16-Bit Enhanced Hard Disk Drive
4098 Memory Expansion Feature
4110 256MB (2x128MB) SDRAM DIMMs
4342 200MHz POWER3 Processor, 4MB L2 Cache
9800 Power Cord

Hardware Cost $950.00

Upgrade to Dual Processor System Add $200.00
Upgrade Memory 256MB Add $150.00

Also have unbeatable pricing on 7025-F50's email me for details.

All system come with a 30 day warranty and are guaranteed acceptable
for IBM maintenance.

Michael Deacon
(800) 787-6364

Please visit www.elarasys.com

2. so what do I do with my spare modem bandwidth?

3. replace firmware and 4BA00828 error on rs/6000 43P model 260

4. Can linux be installed on a system with only a secondary ide controller running the drives?

5. Slow Booting on 43P-260

6. minimal window manager

7. Why is a 43P-260 a 43P ? :-)

8. Server Console Message

9. WTT: IBM RS/6000 B50 for a 43P-150 or 43P-260

10. WTT: IBM RS/6000 B50 for an 43P-150 or 43P-260

11. Why is a 43P-260 a 43P ? :-)

12. 43P-260 Auto-Restart after UPS Shutdown

13. Problems putting a seagate 18XL on a 43P-260