serial terminal cable

Post by Berberich Juerge » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hallo,

i need connecting a IBM/RS6000 server on a Lantronix terminal server
ETS16.

i'm testing the cableconfig on http://www.lantronix.com. For SUN and HP
is the cableplan ok.
But IBM RS6000 is whitout frontend (loginprompt)

Can any send me a diagram to patch a serial adapter (DB25) to RJ45
adapter ?

Thanks

    J. Berberich
    Techn. University Darmstadt

serial terminal cable

Post by John McQu » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Berberisch,

I'm a little confused, if you're hooking up terminals to a terminal server
and then telneting to the Aix box it should behave exactly the same as SUN,
HP etc.

However, if you're trying to use the terminal server for some form of
console consolidation, i.e. doing reverse telnet connections, then I can
just about envisage your problem.

Aix is a little demanding in that it expects DCD to be lifted high when an
incoming connection is made, just the same as a modem really.

Unfortunately there is no standard way of implementing RS232 on RJ45
connectors. The important RJ45 information needs to come from your terminal
server  vendor. IBM for instance uses two different standards between it's
own 64 & 128 port serial adapters and almost every terminal server I've
ever seen uses a different combination again.

What you need is the signal names on the RJ45 end and marry these up with
the DB25 RS232 standard.

I'd suggest you get some DB25 - RJ45 convertors. These have DB25 connector
( male or female) and a shell with an RJ45 connector in it. The wires with
the pins or sockets are left loose, you simply insert the correct colour
into the DB25 end.

You will also find things much easier if you have got access to a breakout
box.

Kindest Regards

John McQue

> Hallo,

> i need connecting a IBM/RS6000 server on a Lantronix terminal server
> ETS16.

> i'm testing the cableconfig on http://www.lantronix.com. For SUN and HP
> is the cableplan ok.
> But IBM RS6000 is whitout frontend (loginprompt)

> Can any send me a diagram to patch a serial adapter (DB25) to RJ45
> adapter ?

> Thanks

>     J. Berberich
>     Techn. University Darmstadt

1. terminal connection over serial cable

Can anyone tell me how I can set up a terminal session from an Ultra 1
(Solaris 8) to a Netra T1 Server via a serial cable so I can boot the
Netra from the attached CDRom. I want to install Solaris 8 on the Netra.
The Netra disk is empty. During the install of the ultra 1 I had a GUI
from the beginning. How will this work with a terminal connection???

Also, I wanted to add a default gateway (10.0.1.1) on the Ultra 1 (which
is my first solaris box) so I could access the Internet and not just the
machines on the 255.255.255.0 subnet. However the file /etc/defaultrouter
does not exist. Can I make my own? Anyone help with this? Btw, I did a
standard install of solaris 8.

many thanks

Simon

2. Serious HPT370 driver problem

3. Cable pin-out for Serial Port fanout cable

4. searching embedded device with linus OS

5. Serial port to serial port with null modem cable

6. TCP/IP problems

7. Using serial printers off of serial terminals.

8. XFree86 V3.3

9. Setup a terminal connected to my PC using a null modem cable

10. Dumb Terminal/Linux cabling question

11. VT320 terminal: What kind of cabling and configuration?

12. Need dumb terminal cabling help

13. Setting up a terminal using a null modem cable