Errorcode FEB shown when Booting my 7024 E30

Errorcode FEB shown when Booting my 7024 E30

Post by Guido That » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 15:48:26

During the past hot days i powered down my RS6000 7024 in order to
avoid any damage due to the high temperature. Obviously too late...

When I tried to power-up the machine yesterday evening, approx. 10
seconds after pushing the power-button (and after one short beep) the
machine halts with error-code 'FEB' shown in the lcd-panel and
permanent access to the floppy-drive.

I doesn't make any difference if a floppy is inserted or not. I also
unplugged and reconnected the cable between the motherboard and the
floppy, removed and re-insert memories etc. The symptoms remained the
same.

I checked IBM's site, all i found is that 'FEB' indicates
floppy-access ;-)

Any help? I really love my RS6K and it would be a big loss for me to
send the machine to the trash can....

Errorcode FEB shown when Booting my 7024 E30

Post by Kolli » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:23:26

I think that the firmware is corrupted. With code FEB the system is 'asking'
for a firmware recovery diskette (that's why your floppydrivelight is on).
Download the 7024-e20/e30 firmware from IBM's website and create that
firmware diskette.
Load it into the floppydrive and 90% change it will recover from this
problem!!!

Latr,
Eric

Quote:> During the past hot days i powered down my RS6000 7024 in order to
> avoid any damage due to the high temperature. Obviously too late...

> When I tried to power-up the machine yesterday evening, approx. 10
> seconds after pushing the power-button (and after one short beep) the
> machine halts with error-code 'FEB' shown in the lcd-panel and
> permanent access to the floppy-drive.

> I doesn't make any difference if a floppy is inserted or not. I also
> unplugged and reconnected the cable between the motherboard and the
> floppy, removed and re-insert memories etc. The symptoms remained the
> same.

> I checked IBM's site, all i found is that 'FEB' indicates
> floppy-access ;-)

> Any help? I really love my RS6K and it would be a big loss for me to
> send the machine to the trash can....

Errorcode FEB shown when Booting my 7024 E30

Post by Guido That » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 15:48:47

Thank you very much, that solved the problem!

> I think that the firmware is corrupted. With code FEB the system is 'asking'
> for a firmware recovery diskette (that's why your floppydrivelight is on).
> Download the 7024-e20/e30 firmware from IBM's website and create that
> firmware diskette.
> Load it into the floppydrive and 90% change it will recover from this
> problem!!!

> Latr,
> Eric

> > During the past hot days i powered down my RS6000 7024 in order to
> > avoid any damage due to the high temperature. Obviously too late...

> > When I tried to power-up the machine yesterday evening, approx. 10
> > seconds after pushing the power-button (and after one short beep) the
> > machine halts with error-code 'FEB' shown in the lcd-panel and
> > permanent access to the floppy-drive.

> > I doesn't make any difference if a floppy is inserted or not. I also
> > unplugged and reconnected the cable between the motherboard and the
> > floppy, removed and re-insert memories etc. The symptoms remained the
> > same.

> > I checked IBM's site, all i found is that 'FEB' indicates
> > floppy-access ;-)

> > Any help? I really love my RS6K and it would be a big loss for me to
> > send the machine to the trash can....

1. Additional Memory for 7024-E30

A few months ago I bought this machine with 128MB RAM - which which soon
became insufficient (I am running AIX 5.1). I asked a few shops to offer me
additional memory, but prices were incredible (more than 200 US$ for
additional 128MB!!)

Is there normal ("PC-like"?) memory at a reasonable price that I can use in
this machine ?

Guido

--
___
guido thater / g at thater dot net

2. New or Revised TAs on websco, 961214

3. 7024 E30 Microcode update...Where's SMS?

4. lost messages

5. RS/6000 7024-E20 linux install?

6. TCP: Treason uncloaked!

7. Linux on "IBM RS/6000 7024 E20"

8. How to block and queue signals under critical execution?

9. Large SCSI disk on 7024 E20 machine

10. Linux on RS6000 model 7024

11. REQ: how to install linux on a PowerPC IBM RS/6000 7024 E20?

12. AIX 4.1.4 on 7024 F40