Curious problem with /etc/environment and su

Curious problem with /etc/environment and su

Post by Chris Hal » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I've had a look in the FAQ and in deja to no avail, so I'll try here. We're
running AIX 4.3.3 - suspiciously we've just added a load of patches and done a
reboot. Logging in is fine, but when we do a switch user it appears that
/etc/environment is not being used, *but* if we then do another su it *is* being
read, another one and it isn't, weird huh? For example:

/home/chall > grep DOC /etc/environment
DOCUMENT_SERVER_MACHINE_NAME=localhost
DOCUMENT_SERVER_PORT=49213
DOCUMENT_DIRECTORY=/usr/docsearch/html

/home/chall > set | grep DOC
DOCUMENT_DIRECTORY=/usr/docsearch/html
DOCUMENT_SERVER_MACHINE_NAME=localhost
DOCUMENT_SERVER_PORT=49213

/home/chall > su - chall
Passwd:

/home/chall > set | grep DOC
                                  <--- No output
/home/chall > su - chall
Passwd:

/home/chall > set | grep DOC
DOCUMENT_DIRECTORY=/usr/docsearch/html
DOCUMENT_SERVER_MACHINE_NAME=localhost
DOCUMENT_SERVER_PORT=49213

/home/chall > su - chall
Passwd:

/home/chall > set | grep DOC
                                  <--- No output
/home/chall >

Anybody got any idea about this?

Thanks in advance
Chris.

1. /etc/default/su not read with coreutil /usr/local/bin/su

I noticed that some of our systems were not logging su through
/var/log/authlog. It turns out that on those systems, /usr/local/bin
is at the front of the path to take advantage of the coreutil package.
My question is, with /usr/local/bin/su running, it does not read
/etd/default/su for its parametres. If I specifically run /usr/bin/su,
the settings are read without an issue, but I want to use the coreutil
features. Where are the default su parametres (i.e., SYSLOG) found?

2. sunfire v100 et solaris 9

3. getting xdm to read /etc/profile and /etc/environment

4. Problem: format a 9 gig on Solaris 2.3

5. su Problem...need format of /etc/suaccts file

6. SUBJECT

7. ps/1, Lilo, etc etc etc problems w/ instalation

8. Live Filesystems: which CD vendors?

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. su problem -- su: Unknown id: root

11. su adm fail: Cannot set process environment.

12. Environment doesn't change with su

13. (SCO 3.2/OP.Srv.5) Special su environment/.profile???