AIX 4.3.3 install fails

Post by Stephen Sal » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 23:20:37

I'm trying to install 4.3.3 from CD on a pSeries 620 Model 6F1. It installs
lots of filesets, then displays the following on the screen:

Finished processing all filesets.
System Installation Time: 6 minutes     Tasks Completed: 93%

The LCD changes a few times after that and then comes to rest showing:

0751
P1-I9/Q1

And that's it. It doesn't do anything else at all. If I reboot the system
then it simply turns itself off again after 5 or 10 minutes immediately
after displaying "STARTING SOFTWARE" or similar.

It was up and running before I initiated a New and Complete Overwrite
installation, and none of the hardware has changed since. The only error
message I get is right at the start of the fileset install, when it says it
can't find quite a few filesets, but this very quickly disappears off the
top of the screen and it proceeds to install lots of other filesets.

Anyone got any ideas?
S.

AIX 4.3.3 install fails

Post by Dan Millio » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 01:12:34

> I'm trying to install 4.3.3 from CD on a pSeries 620 Model 6F1. It installs
> lots of filesets, then displays the following on the screen:

> Finished processing all filesets.
> System Installation Time: 6 minutes     Tasks Completed: 93%

> The LCD changes a few times after that and then comes to rest showing:

> 0751
> P1-I9/Q1

> And that's it. It doesn't do anything else at all. If I reboot the system
> then it simply turns itself off again after 5 or 10 minutes immediately
> after displaying "STARTING SOFTWARE" or similar.

> It was up and running before I initiated a New and Complete Overwrite
> installation, and none of the hardware has changed since. The only error
> message I get is right at the start of the fileset install, when it says it
> can't find quite a few filesets, but this very quickly disappears off the
> top of the screen and it proceeds to install lots of other filesets.

> Anyone got any ideas?
> S.

Have you checked to see if the p620 can run with AIX 4.3.3.0?  When I
installed 4.3.3 on my p660 I had a similar problem, and found that the
p660 requires AIX 4.3.3-ML8.  I was finally able to install by finding
a set of AIX 4.3.3 CDs that were a later release than the original.  I
think they had "4/2000" or some similar date on the first CD.

Dan

AIX 4.3.3 install fails

Post by Stephen Sal » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 01:29:32

Quote:> Have you checked to see if the p620 can run with AIX 4.3.3.0?  When I
> installed 4.3.3 on my p660 I had a similar problem, and found that the
> p660 requires AIX 4.3.3-ML8.  I was finally able to install by finding
> a set of AIX 4.3.3 CDs that were a later release than the original.  I
> think they had "4/2000" or some similar date on the first CD.

The discs I'm using came with the machine, so I'm hoping they're correct! :)
Also the date on these CDs is "10/2000", so I don't think that's the
problem.

S.

AIX 4.3.3 install fails

Post by Allan E Can » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 05:58:52

Howdy,

Do you ever see the 5xx led's?
Are you able to use the CD to boot into a maintance shell?

You could then check around the disks to see if /sbin/rc.boot is there,
maybe rebuild the boot lv, etc.

I'd try rebuilding the boot image in a maintance shell and see what happens.

Hope this helps,
Allan

http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/rs6k/techbrowse/

Look for 'led 551'

> I'm trying to install 4.3.3 from CD on a pSeries 620 Model 6F1. It installs
> lots of filesets, then displays the following on the screen:

> Finished processing all filesets.
> System Installation Time: 6 minutes     Tasks Completed: 93%

> The LCD changes a few times after that and then comes to rest showing:

> 0751
> P1-I9/Q1

> And that's it. It doesn't do anything else at all. If I reboot the system
> then it simply turns itself off again after 5 or 10 minutes immediately
> after displaying "STARTING SOFTWARE" or similar.

> It was up and running before I initiated a New and Complete Overwrite
> installation, and none of the hardware has changed since. The only error
> message I get is right at the start of the fileset install, when it says it
> can't find quite a few filesets, but this very quickly disappears off the
> top of the screen and it proceeds to install lots of other filesets.

> Anyone got any ideas?
> S.

AIX 4.3.3 install fails

Post by Harry Cha » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:39:33

0751 code indicates that it was trying to configure a raid controller.
The P1-I9/Q1 indicates the adapter it was trying to work with was in the
ninth PCI slot.

Could it be an external raid?  Is it configured?

> > I'm trying to install 4.3.3 from CD on a pSeries 620 Model 6F1. It installs
> > lots of filesets, then displays the following on the screen:

> > Finished processing all filesets.
> > System Installation Time: 6 minutes     Tasks Completed: 93%

> > The LCD changes a few times after that and then comes to rest showing:

> > 0751
> > P1-I9/Q1

> > And that's it. It doesn't do anything else at all. If I reboot the system
> > then it simply turns itself off again after 5 or 10 minutes immediately
> > after displaying "STARTING SOFTWARE" or similar.

> > It was up and running before I initiated a New and Complete Overwrite
> > installation, and none of the hardware has changed since. The only error
> > message I get is right at the start of the fileset install, when it says it
> > can't find quite a few filesets, but this very quickly disappears off the
> > top of the screen and it proceeds to install lots of other filesets.

> > Anyone got any ideas?
> > S.

AIX 4.3.3 install fails

Post by Stephen Sal » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 21:01:05

Quote:> 0751 code indicates that it was trying to configure a raid controller.
> The P1-I9/Q1 indicates the adapter it was trying to work with was in the
> ninth PCI slot.

> Could it be an external raid?  Is it configured?

I decided to go for the "brute force" approach, and simply removed the card
in slot 9, then tried to install again. This time all went perfectly. So I
decided to do a little investigating on the problem card itself on the IBM
website. It turns out to be the following:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servlet/support/manager?rs=0&rt=0&org=psg&doc=MI...
DU

Interestingly, you'll note on the page:

Supported Operating Systems
Novell NetWare 4.2(1)
NetWare 5.0
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server
Windows NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition
Windows 2000 Advanced Server

and no mention of the pSeries 620 in the supported hardware list.

So after all that, it would appear that IBM have seen fit to provide us with
an entirely incompatible card in our newly-leased server. Impressive eh?

Many thanks to all who replied - I'm off to complain to IBM... :-)

Cheers,
Stephen

AIX 4.3.3 install fails

Post by Uwe Aue » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 21:42:36

> > 0751 code indicates that it was trying to configure a raid controller.
> > The P1-I9/Q1 indicates the adapter it was trying to work with was in the
> > ninth PCI slot.

> > Could it be an external raid?  Is it configured?

> I decided to go for the "brute force" approach, and simply removed the card
> in slot 9, then tried to install again. This time all went perfectly. So I
> decided to do a little investigating on the problem card itself on the IBM
> website. It turns out to be the following:

> http://www-1.ibm.com/servlet/support/manager?rs=0&rt=0&org=psg&doc=MI...
> DU

> Interestingly, you'll note on the page:

> Supported Operating Systems
> Novell NetWare 4.2(1)
> NetWare 5.0
> Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server
> Windows NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition
> Windows 2000 Advanced Server

> and no mention of the pSeries 620 in the supported hardware list.

> So after all that, it would appear that IBM have seen fit to provide us with
> an entirely incompatible card in our newly-leased server. Impressive eh?

> Many thanks to all who replied - I'm off to complain to IBM... :-)

> Cheers,
> Stephen

Hi,

this is Netfinity stuff. Cannot believe that IBM sold you Netfinity
hardware with pSeries order.

Regards,
Uwe

AIX 4.3.3 install fails

Post by Stephen Sal » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 21:51:42

Quote:> this is Netfinity stuff. Cannot believe that IBM sold you Netfinity
> hardware with pSeries order.

Me neither!

S.

1. Rerdhat 5.0 rpm install failed & install failed (real big problem :) )

In this much time you could have gotten the free cd from linuxmall.
Sorry you're haven problems but it will probably work.  Don't think
about it for at least two hours.  Then it might work.

--
LINUX LIVES

TEX             http://www.ccms.net/~mhtexcollins/78704.htm

                Onward through the fog!

2. Client cert -> cgi - Reading username through Apache

3. Install AIX V4.2.1 on H50 which installed AIX V4.3.2 already

4. reading user input with bash

5. AIX install fails (disk problems) -- help/advice from the experienced

6. breaking mirrors

7. AIX 4.3.1 install from CD fails

8. I need Xm/*.h

9. Notes Domino Install/Setup fails on AIX 4.1.5

10. Fail to install AIX 5L on 943P system

11. AIX 4.2 Fails Perl Test and GD install

12. RPM Package install failed: script execution failed...

13. startx fails - wrapper install fails