Has anyone got less to work under AIX-3.1 on a RS6000 ?

Has anyone got less to work under AIX-3.1 on a RS6000 ?

Post by Michael Schmi » Tue, 27 Nov 1990 23:37:50

I just tried to install the more replacement less on our rs6000. All
comilations went fine, I got a working executable. But, ... the
behaviour is strange.

When viewing a file you have to type in FOUR chracters, before the
first is honored. And then all behaves like a queue. After typing in
the fifth character the second gets handles and so on. Giving it a 'q'
to quit and three more characters less will quit and the three
characters show up on the command line.

Looks pretty wierd to me. Any ideas?
--
      Michael Schmidt, FB 17, Uni-GH Paderborn, Warburgerstr. 100,
                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany

Has anyone got less to work under AIX-3.1 on a RS6000 ?

Post by Geoff Colem » Wed, 28 Nov 1990 15:24:27

Quote:

> I just tried to install the more replacement less on our rs6000. All
> comilations went fine, I got a working executable. But, ... the
> behaviour is strange.

> When viewing a file you have to type in FOUR chracters, before the
> first is honored. And then all behaves like a queue. After typing in
> the fifth character the second gets handles and so on. Giving it a 'q'
> to quit and three more characters less will quit and the three
> characters show up on the command line.

> Looks pretty wierd to me. Any ideas?

        As a guess you are using the ioctls for BSD style tty driver while
the active driver is the POSIX driver. It sounds like raw mode isn't being
set up right. check the return values for any ioctl calls.

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

Post by craig mill » Thu, 29 Nov 1990 00:17:29

>and it works like a charm..... 'cept that you have to diddle with
>the malloc() code, because malloc() is a void in AIX3, not an int....

>-- Glenn R. Stone

        Just one minor point here:  Glenn, what do you mean, "malloc()
        is a void in AIX3, not an int...."?

        AIXV3's malloc() returns a void *, per ANSI.  I've never heard
        of a malloc() that returned int...

        Just curious...

                Craig
------
        Craig Miller
        Locus Computing Corporation, Austin, TX.
        UUCP: ..!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!slaughter!dcm
        "I do not represent LCC or IBM.  I represent myself (usually)."

Has anyone got less to work under AIX-3.1 on a RS6000 ?

Post by Ronald S. Wo » Thu, 29 Nov 1990 02:27:48

Quote:miller) writes:

Craig>       Just one minor point here: Glenn, what do you mean, "malloc()
Craig>       is a void in AIX3, not an int...."?

Craig>       AIXV3's malloc() returns a void *, per ANSI.  I've never heard
Craig> of a malloc() that returned int...

Agreeing that "void *malloc()" is the way to go, I think Glenn was
just mis-stating the more traditional "char *malloc()" of UNIX
versions gone by.

+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

Post by Glenn R. Sto » Thu, 29 Nov 1990 03:59:56

>>and it works like a charm..... 'cept that you have to diddle with
>>the malloc() code, because malloc() is a void in AIX3, not an int....
>    Just one minor point here:  Glenn, what do you mean, "malloc()
>    is a void in AIX3, not an int...."?

So I was working from memory.  calloc, not malloc....

DYNIX 3 (4.2 BSDish for the Sequent, the machine from which I post)
has char *calloc.... and the less code assumes that, and does not
cast the pointers explicitly.  You have to go in and ANSI-ise the code...
which is also good programming practice in non-ANSI (or at least to
document the fact that hey! I'm assuming char *{m,c}alloc instead of void....)

P'raps Henry should add to the First Commandment....

   When weirdnesses happen in code thou didst not write, thou shalt
   REALLY study the output of _lint_ thy eternal friend and companion.

Has anyone got less to work under AIX-3.1 on a RS6000 ?

Post by Glenn R. Sto » Wed, 28 Nov 1990 06:46:51

Quote:>I just tried to install the more replacement less on our rs6000. All
>comilations went fine, I got a working executable. But, ... the
>behaviour is strange.
>When viewing a file you have to type in FOUR chracters....

Aha.  POSIX strikes again.  Compile less for a System V machine,
and it works like a charm..... 'cept that you have to diddle with
the malloc() code, because malloc() is a void in AIX3, not an int....
You obviously tried to compile it for a Berkeley setup, and got the
POSIX line discipline problem.... you can MAKE it run in a Berkeley
environment, but it's not worth your time.  Oh, and make sure
to link with -lcurses instead of -lterminfo..... libterminfo.a don't
exist under AIX3.

-- Glenn R. Stone

Post by Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pin » Thu, 29 Nov 1990 07:24:58

>When viewing a file you have to type in FOUR chracters, before the
>first is honored. And then all behaves like a queue. After typing in
>the fifth character the second gets handles and so on. Giving it a 'q'
>to quit and three more characters less will quit and the three
>characters show up on the command line.

   I had the same problem with the less program, and I use the next
  steps to compile it and it works fine now:

   1. Use the makefile.bsd42
   2. Change the GLOB variable to 0 in the makefile
   3. Change the LIBS variable to '-lcurses -lbsd'
   4. Type make and enjoy less!

   Hope this helps...

--
*****   Greetings from Mexico!   *****
Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pinto                   Internet:

I.T.E.S.M. Campus Monterrey

Has anyone got less to work under AIX-3.1 on a RS6000 ?

Post by Michael Schmi » Thu, 06 Dec 1990 22:44:09

Quote:>>>>> About Re: Has anyone got less to work under AIX-3.1 on a RS6000
> [...]

Glenn> Aha.  POSIX strikes again.  Compile less for a System V
Glenn> machine, and it works like a charm..... 'cept that you have to
Glenn> diddle with the malloc() code, because malloc() is a void in
Glenn> AIX3, not an int....

I configured it for a SysV machine, and it works perfect.
--
      Michael Schmidt, FB 17, Uni-GH Paderborn, Warburgerstr. 100,
                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany

1. Has anyone gotten CAP 6.0 to work (AIX 3.1.5)?

There are claims in the CAP 6.0 distribution from munnari.oz.au that it
works under AIX 3.1.5.  Yet it generates screen fulls of compile-time
errors.  We would like to use this software to print to PostScript printers
located on our LocalTalk networks.

Has anyone sucessfully ported CAP 6.0 to AIX3.1.5?  If so, can you let us
know how you did it and how you set up /etc/qconfig to make use of LocalTalk-
connected printers?

Are there any other solutions besides CAP 6.0?  (Cayman's GatorPrint crashes
the entire GatorBox when it receives printer packets from a Risc-System 6000).

Thanks.

--Tim

2. Booting DOS+Windows form 2nd HD (with LILO)

3. HELP: Having big trouble getting sendmail 8.8.4 going with AIX 4.1.4

4. Dip for Users

5. SIGSEGV gotten when JNI written in C calls contructor having a println on AIX platform

6. Memory used by a process

7. Anyone ported Windowing KSH to AIX 3.2/RS6000??

8. Untarring SO 5.1?

9. having trouble getting sound working...

10. Having trouble getting inbound telnet to work properly (updated)

11. Having trouble getting 3D apps to work

12. I'm having some trouble getting a PCMCIA card to work properly

13. Having trouble getting gethostbyaddr() working on Solaris?