RS/6000 sendmail HELO problem (AIX 3.1)

RS/6000 sendmail HELO problem (AIX 3.1)

Post by Chris Cheyn » Fri, 03 May 1991 23:36:05



I have a problem with the RS/6000 sendmail.  I've configured it
properly so it realizes who it is and who the UUCP relay is, but
it passes the wrong machine name in the HELO message sent to the
remote SMTP.

The conversation goes a lot like this:

[RS/6000 talking to sendmail on ISC 2.2]

Quote:>>> HELO isc-box

<<< 553 Local configuration error, hostname not recognized as local

Another box, an NCR Tower, gives the same 553 message noting that
it refuses to talk to itself.

Internal mail on the RS/6000 works fine, and I can mail from the
ISC box into the 6000, but I can't get outbound mail to work.

Any help you can provide (like a copy of sendmail 5.61 or greater
that's non-IBM that will work on the box :-)) will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

chris
---
Chris Cheyney                               | But I think that I'll be
386 Rose Creek Road, Franklin NC 28734      |     alright ...

UUCP:     {backbones}!emory!rsiatl!chris    |     - Boz Scaggs

 
 
 

RS/6000 sendmail HELO problem (AIX 3.1)

Post by Neil Ricke » Sat, 04 May 1991 20:58:37



>I have a problem with the RS/6000 sendmail.  I've configured it
>properly so it realizes who it is and who the UUCP relay is, but
>it passes the wrong machine name in the HELO message sent to the
>remote SMTP.

><<< 553 Local configuration error, hostname not recognized as local

 Look at how $j is defined.  It is usually defined on a line reading
something like:
        Dj$w.$D
or perhaps just
        Dj$w
 If properly configured, $j should be your fully qualified hostname.
At the very least, it must be different from the value of $j on any
host you talk to with SMTP.  The '553 Local configuration error'
message happens because, during the SMTP greeting phase (the HELO
command), the value of $j on each host is compared.  If both compare
the same (possibly in a case-insensitive comparison) sendmail assumes
it is talking to itself and exits with that error message.

 If changing $j doesn't correct the problem, then your sendmail really
is talking to itself, and not properly recognizing some local
addresses.

Quote:>Any help you can provide (like a copy of sendmail 5.61 or greater
>that's non-IBM that will work on the box :-)) will be greatly
>appreciated.

 Paul Pomes has done a lot of work getting sendmail-5.65+IDA to run on
many platforms including RS6000.  You can ftp the package from
uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.  However the software is not your problem; the definition
of $j or other configuration problems are what you need to fix.  Running
a different version of 'sendmail' with your current 'sendmail.cf' will
likely see the same problem recur.

--
=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

 
 
 

RS/6000 sendmail HELO problem (AIX 3.1)

Post by Rich Bra » Wed, 08 May 1991 00:21:09


I too have been having trouble with sendmail.  This is probably a general
question, rather than an RS-6000 question, so I'm asking for pointers
from any source (such as another newsgroup that I'm not familiar with).

I want to set up my RS-6000 as our company's main e-mail relay.  I have
two external sites willing to talk to us using uucp.  Internally I have
a small network of systems talking SMTP (well, once I get it configured

system on our network and have it figure out that the mail should go
first to the RS-6000 and then out over one of the uucp links.

The documentation I have from IBM and from SCO really doesn't say enough
about how to set this (rather common) scenario up.  Sendmail has been
driving me buggy.  Is there a simple-as-A-B-C configuration manual,
with sample configuration files, available somewhere on the Internet?

I'd also like to tie in cc:Mail.  Has anyone out there accomplished this
using Proteon's public-domain cc:Mail relay?

-rich

 
 
 

RS/6000 sendmail HELO problem (AIX 3.1)

Post by Jack F. Vog » Thu, 09 May 1991 00:48:00



>I too have been having trouble with sendmail.  This is probably a general
>question, rather than an RS-6000 question, so I'm asking for pointers
>from any source (such as another newsgroup that I'm not familiar with).

The basic functionality of the 6000's sendmail is OK, I see no particular
reason to go looking for new code. The problem you have is with getting
sendmail.cf set up for your needs. Unfortunately, it is difficult to
set up a configuration file generic enough to suit every type of setup,
and the cf shipped with the product is really only suited to a purely
networked (i.e., Internet) mail environment. BTW, the group you want to
keep an eye on and ask questions to is: comp.mail.sendmail.

>I want to set up my RS-6000 as our company's main e-mail relay.  I have
>two external sites willing to talk to us using uucp.  Internally I have
>a small network of systems talking SMTP (well, once I get it configured

>system on our network and have it figure out that the mail should go
>first to the RS-6000 and then out over one of the uucp links.

The configuration you want is to have sendmail distinguish 2 types of

former could simply resolve to the smtp mailer, the later should all be
sent to your 6000 as well as any .UUCP style mail. Then the 6000 could
be configured to similarly to pass any nonlocal domain addresses on to
a "smarthost" (say, uunet) via a uucp mailer. It's going to take a little
study of the sendmail.cf and its language to understand how to do this,
but I think with docs in hand and a printout of your cf file this shouldn't
be too hard a job.

Quote:>The documentation I have from IBM and from SCO really doesn't say enough
>about how to set this (rather common) scenario up.  Sendmail has been
>driving me buggy.  Is there a simple-as-A-B-C configuration manual,
>with sample configuration files, available somewhere on the Internet?

There was a message posted in comp.mail.sendmail a few days back saying
there was a generic sendmail.cf available on host tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
in the path pub/sendmail/Tut:sendmail.cf. I have not had time to ftp it
and see how useful it really is. If you really need some sample rules
for this kind of configuration perhaps you could harass your support
contact and maybe an APAR or something could be the basis for some new
sample rules being put into the shipped sendmail.cf. If you are really
in a ditch over this, email me, and perhaps I could provide some sample
stuff. However, be forewarned, I am really busy and can't guarantee a
real quick response, sendmail is sort of a sideline with me, I spend
most of my time with the 370 kernel!

Disclaimer: Opinions are my own, not necessarily my employer's.

--

AIX370 Technical Support               - or -

 
 
 

1. Vector fonts for IBM GL (AIX 3.1 on RS/6000)

Hello GL users,

As far as I remember Silicon Graphics's GL included vector fonts.  Somehow
this feature seems to not apear in IBM's GL (which is supposed to be
compatible).  Is it realy so?  Can I somehow add this functionality?

As a long shot, is it possible to mix XDPS with GL ?!?

Any pointers are welcome ...

Thanks
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

2. Multi-Server tape backup info

3. MENU progam for AIX 3.1 RS/6000

4. Makefile rules

5. AIX 3.1 and IBM RS/6000 - Frequently Asked Questions (Part 1/3)

6. can't resolve symbol _Xcatopen in RedHat 5.1

7. Frequently Asked Question to AIX 3.1 and IBM RS/6000

8. DHCPD trigging a script.. Is it possible?

9. AIX 3.1 and IBM RS/6000 - Frequently Asked Questions (Part 1/2)

10. Frequently Asked Question to AIX 3.1 and IBM RS/6000

11. Porting UPS to RS/6000 AIX 3.1

12. AIX 3.1 and IBM RS/6000 - Frequently Asked Questions (Part 2/2)

13. Missing of libU77.a on RS 6000 AIX 3.1