Learning AIX

Post by Mike » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am trying to learn all I can about the AIX OS.
          Can anyone suggest some books, Cd's or ?
I have seen very little on AIX in print. Our company has
two older RISC boxes, 550 &  570. We can't find much of the
original manuals around the office. Where should I start? I see the
IBM courses are very pricey. Are they good or what are the alternatives? I
use the 550
 for learning as we only use it as a backup and for our internet
connection.
 I am very cautious in the 570 when I need to add users etc. There is
nobody
left to learn from at work unfortunately & it doesn't look like anyone is
to be hired.
I have found some good web sites
like...http://www.austin.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixgen/topnav/topn
av
Also this group has been great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
                   Mike

Learning AIX

Post by Kevin R. Ge » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

As far as IBM courses go, my personal opinion is that you're better off
going to the source of the product for training and education than
going to someone else.  IBM courses are, in general, excellent, whether
they are taught by IBM instructors or approved vendors.

It costs $4995 per year for an IBM Education card for one person.  That
allows you to attend an unlimited number of IBM classes (AIX, Linux,
DB2, AS400, etc.) in one year for one low price.  That's probably 2-3
classes in one year to make it worth the cost of the card.

if you consider that the average IBM class ends up lasting 35-40 hours,
it compares favorably with the duration of a university class.  So, if
you take 3 classes in a year, the cost of the education card to cover
those 3 classes is about the same as a semester's tuition to a
moderately expensive university.

Kevin

Quote:> Hi all,

> I am trying to learn all I can about the AIX OS.
>           Can anyone suggest some books, Cd's or ?
> I have seen very little on AIX in print. Our company has
> two older RISC boxes, 550 &  570. We can't find much of the
> original manuals around the office. Where should I start? I see the
> IBM courses are very pricey. Are they good or what are the
alternatives? I
> use the 550
>  for learning as we only use it as a backup and for our internet
> connection.
>  I am very cautious in the 570 when I need to add users etc. There is
> nobody
> left to learn from at work unfortunately & it doesn't look like
anyone is
> to be hired.
> I have found some good web sites

like...http://www.austin.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixgen/topnav/
topn

Quote:> av

--
Kevin R. Gee
MS Student, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Learning AIX

Post by Bernd Thie » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

an good Book is

'The AIX Survival Guide', Andreas Siegert, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-59388-2

Bernd

Mike schrieb:

Quote:> Hi all,

> I am trying to learn all I can about the AIX OS.
>           Can anyone suggest some books, Cd's or ?
> I have seen very little on AIX in print. Our company has
> two older RISC boxes, 550 &  570. We can't find much of the
> original manuals around the office. Where should I start? I see the
> IBM courses are very pricey. Are they good or what are the alternatives? I
> use the 550
>  for learning as we only use it as a backup and for our internet
> connection.
>  I am very cautious in the 570 when I need to add users etc. There is
> nobody
> left to learn from at work unfortunately & it doesn't look like anyone is
> to be hired.
> I have found some good web sites
> like...http://www.austin.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixgen/topnav/topn
> av
> Also this group has been great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank You,
>                    Mike

Learning AIX

Post by flying.. » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
    Thanks & funny that you mention this book.
Right after I posted yesterday I went and read
all the reviews on amazon.com for AIX books.
That is the book I ordered based on all the
glowing reviews.
Thanks again,
              Mike

> Hi,
> an good Book is
> 'The AIX Survival Guide', Andreas Siegert,

Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-59388-2

Quote:

> Bernd

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Learning AIX

Post by Norman Levi » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Check out "AIX Survival Guide" by Andreas Siegert - Addison Wesley.
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

Learning AIX

Post by Gabriel Chu » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

The Redbooks website by IBM might be useful for you.
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/

It is free of charge.
Your can download a number of pdf files from there.

All the best.

Gabriel

> As far as IBM courses go, my personal opinion is that you're better off
> going to the source of the product for training and education than
> going to someone else.  IBM courses are, in general, excellent, whether
> they are taught by IBM instructors or approved vendors.

> It costs $4995 per year for an IBM Education card for one person.  That
> allows you to attend an unlimited number of IBM classes (AIX, Linux,
> DB2, AS400, etc.) in one year for one low price.  That's probably 2-3
> classes in one year to make it worth the cost of the card.

> if you consider that the average IBM class ends up lasting 35-40 hours,
> it compares favorably with the duration of a university class.  So, if
> you take 3 classes in a year, the cost of the education card to cover
> those 3 classes is about the same as a semester's tuition to a
> moderately expensive university.

> Kevin

> > Hi all,

> > I am trying to learn all I can about the AIX OS.
> >           Can anyone suggest some books, Cd's or ?
> > I have seen very little on AIX in print. Our company has
> > two older RISC boxes, 550 &  570. We can't find much of the
> > original manuals around the office. Where should I start? I see the
> > IBM courses are very pricey. Are they good or what are the
> alternatives? I
> > use the 550
> >  for learning as we only use it as a backup and for our internet
> > connection.
> >  I am very cautious in the 570 when I need to add users etc. There is
> > nobody
> > left to learn from at work unfortunately & it doesn't look like
> anyone is
> > to be hired.
> > I have found some good web sites

> like...http://www.austin.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixgen/topnav/
> topn
> > av
> > Also this group has been great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thank You,
> >                    Mike

> --
> Kevin R. Gee
> MS Student, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX
> Senior UNIX Administrator, Origin Technology in Business, Arlington, TX

Learning AIX

Post by Tim Ree » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Mike,

Look at http://www.austin.ibm.com/resource/hardware_docs/. The
Installation/Service Guide and User/Operator Guide for the 7013
500 series are available in PDF format. These would be the
original manuals that came with the system.

Tim
Tim Reed
UNIX Systems Administrator

> Hi all,

> I am trying to learn all I can about the AIX OS.
>           Can anyone suggest some books, Cd's or ?
> I have seen very little on AIX in print. Our company has
> two older RISC boxes, 550 &  570. We can't find much of the
> original manuals around the office. Where should I start? I see the
> IBM courses are very pricey. Are they good or what are the alternatives? I
> use the 550
>  for learning as we only use it as a backup and for our internet
> connection.
>  I am very cautious in the 570 when I need to add users etc. There is
> nobody
> left to learn from at work unfortunately & it doesn't look like anyone is
> to be hired.
> I have found some good web sites
> like...http://www.austin.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixgen/topnav/topn
> av
> Also this group has been great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank You,
>                    Mike

Learning AIX

Post by WWells15 » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

A lot of documentation for AIX is online. It can be accessed via
http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/library.

Learning AIX

Post by James W Parke » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Yes, actually there are a couple of very good books;
The AIX Survival Guide
AIX Performance Tuning, "retail version of the actual system manual"
The O'reilly System Administrator book is "ok" for AIX, but not the best.
and if you have the original media, load the "man" pages.

JWParker

> Hi all,

> I am trying to learn all I can about the AIX OS.
>           Can anyone suggest some books, Cd's or ?
> I have seen very little on AIX in print. Our company has
> two older RISC boxes, 550 &  570. We can't find much of the
> original manuals around the office. Where should I start? I see the
> IBM courses are very pricey. Are they good or what are the alternatives? I
> use the 550
>  for learning as we only use it as a backup and for our internet
> connection.
>  I am very cautious in the 570 when I need to add users etc. There is
> nobody
> left to learn from at work unfortunately & it doesn't look like anyone is
> to be hired.
> I have found some good web sites
> like...http://www.austin.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixgen/topnav/topn
> av
> Also this group has been great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank You,
>                    Mike

Learning AIX

Post by Mike » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Thanks James,
                         Yes I just bought the Sys Admin book & have The
AIX survival Guide coming in a few days.
Thanks again,
                      Mike

Quote:> Yes, actually there are a couple of very good books;
> The AIX Survival Guide
> AIX Performance Tuning, "retail version of the actual system manual"
> The O'reilly System Administrator book is "ok" for AIX, but not the best.
> and if you have the original media, load the "man" pages.

> JWParker

Learning AIX

Post by Tom Smit » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Unix Power Tools. it's not AIX-specific, but I learn something
every time i open it.

Tom

---

| Tom Smith                                               |

| PSW Technologies      IBM RISC/System Graphics          |
| AIX GOS/PVT           Bldg 45, 2L-070, Austin, TX USA   |

1. Using Linux to learn AIX - which version is best ?

This may sound like a stupid thing to ask, but here goes....

The company I work for uses AIX exclusively. I need to get some  Unix
experience (AIX in particular) so which version of Linux would be best
suited for this purpose.

Or is it the case that, like fine wines, they all taste the same and
only a real expert can tell the difference.

I have seen a book on sale which contains both Slackware and Redhat on
two CD-ROMs for under 50 ukp. Worth getting ?

TIA,

Paul Lynch

2. need a fine timer (like setitimer)

3. Learning AIX

4. ftp as user

5. Solaris guy wanting to learn AIX...................................TIA

6. Linux VFAT 8.3 (shortname only) treatment

7. Buy a workstation for learning AIX

8. Tape Backup

9. Need to learn AIX fast. Use BSD?

10. Best Linux distro to learn AIX?

11. Learning AIX UNIX

12. Learning AIX

13. Learn Linux (Open Systems) Online with Next Generation Learning Technology