A minor problem -> a big "gotcha"
Well... I discovered a minor problem with the "restore -i" command
yesterday and decided to help others avoid the same problem. Of
course, thinking OTHERS might be dumb enough to get caught by this one
is a BIG assumption on my part :-).
I needed to restore a user's account from a backup (by inode) tape.
Since the interactive option (restore -i) makes things much easier, I
I did an "add *". Then noticed it did not get the dozen or so dot
files, so did an "add .*". Sure enough, the "ls" command showed all
the desired files marked with an '*' to indicate they would be
extracted from the tape, so I entered "extract" and went off to do
other things while the files were being read from the tape.
Guess what!!! The "ls" command within "restore -i" is similar to the
normal "ls -A" command... it does not show "." and ".." .
Now for the "gotcha" (yes, you guessed it): The "add .*" DOES include "..".
I'll leave the results to the imagination of the reader.
(This was AIX 3.2.2 with the "vi hang" fix installed.)
Bob Ware, System Administrator
Computing and Networking, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Co 80401, USA