Followup: Having trouble compiling Apache on AIX 5.1

Followup: Having trouble compiling Apache on AIX 5.1

Post by Shel » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 02:52:10

Over the last few months, I have posted several messages regarding
problems with compiling Apache SSL (any version) on AIX 5.1.

(see articles:  Having trouble compiling Apache on AIX 5.1 & ld:
0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .__fixsfsi)

I am still unable to compile Apache with modules enabled, for example,
when I try the following:

./configure --enable-module=most --enable-shared=max

I run into the same problems as when I try to compile Apache SSL.  I
receive the following error:

ld: 0711-327 WARNING: Entry point not found: _nostart
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .__fixsfsi
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
information.

I believe I have narrowed the problem down to the GCC that comes with
the IBM's AIX toolbox, specifically the following version:

Reading specs from
/usr/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0/2.9-aix43-010216/specs
gcc version 2.9-aix43-010216

I loaded the toolbox version of GCC onto a known working 4.3.3 system.
When I tried to compile, I received the same error I was receiving on
the 5.1 system.  When I changed out my GCC, my compiles started
working again.  Unfortunately, I do not know where I can get other GCC
binaries for the 5.1 platform (other than compiling it myself, which
would probably be another can of worms).

I am curious if anyone has found a way around this problem yet or
should I give up and find another compiler?

TIA,
Shelly

Followup: Having trouble compiling Apache on AIX 5.1

Post by Marc Stephens » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 04:47:30

The GNUPro gcc (the one that is from Cygnus/RedHat in the Toolbox) unfortunately
generates references in some circumstances to routines which are found in
libgcc.a.  If you don't link with gcc (like if the Makefile invokes ld directly),
then you'll be missing the static routines it is trying to get from libgcc.a.
You need to add libgcc.a into your link step.

You'll find libgcc.a somewhere like:
  /opt/freeware/GNUPro/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0/2.9-aix43-010216/libgcc.a

Marc

--
Marc Stephenson                        IBM Server Group - Austin,TX

Followup: Having trouble compiling Apache on AIX 5.1

Post by Shel » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 00:33:50

I am sorry, I am still kind of green at this... How would I go about
adding libgcc.a into my link step?

Thanks,
Shelly

>The GNUPro gcc (the one that is from Cygnus/RedHat in the Toolbox) unfortunately
>generates references in some circumstances to routines which are found in
>libgcc.a.  If you don't link with gcc (like if the Makefile invokes ld directly),
>then you'll be missing the static routines it is trying to get from libgcc.a.
>You need to add libgcc.a into your link step.

>You'll find libgcc.a somewhere like:
>  /opt/freeware/GNUPro/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0/2.9-aix43-010216/libgcc.a

>Marc

>>Over the last few months, I have posted several messages regarding
>>problems with compiling Apache SSL (any version) on AIX 5.1.

>>(see articles:  Having trouble compiling Apache on AIX 5.1 & ld:
>>0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .__fixsfsi)

>>I am still unable to compile Apache with modules enabled, for example,
>>when I try the following:

>>./configure --enable-module=most --enable-shared=max

>>I run into the same problems as when I try to compile Apache SSL.  I
>>receive the following error:

>>ld: 0711-327 WARNING: Entry point not found: _nostart
>>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .__fixsfsi
>>ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
>>information.

>>I believe I have narrowed the problem down to the GCC that comes with
>>the IBM's AIX toolbox, specifically the following version:

>>Reading specs from
>>/usr/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0/2.9-aix43-010216/specs
>>gcc version 2.9-aix43-010216

>>I loaded the toolbox version of GCC onto a known working 4.3.3 system.
>>When I tried to compile, I received the same error I was receiving on
>>the 5.1 system.  When I changed out my GCC, my compiles started
>>working again.  Unfortunately, I do not know where I can get other GCC
>>binaries for the 5.1 platform (other than compiling it myself, which
>>would probably be another can of worms).

>>I am curious if anyone has found a way around this problem yet or
>>should I give up and find another compiler?

>>TIA,
>>Shelly

>--
>Marc Stephenson                        IBM Server Group - Austin,TX

Followup: Having trouble compiling Apache on AIX 5.1

Post by Shel » Wed, 08 May 2002 00:29:29

I am still trying some work-arounds that a couple of people have
posted but, so far, I have not had any luck in getting them to work.

I did install visual age and compiled apache with xlc instead of gcc
and everything compiled without any trouble!!!

If I ever get the gcc work-arounds to go, I will post another