Processor Upgrade

Post by Cynthia Baughma » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have an RS/6000 Model G30 running AIX 4.1.3.  The CPU is having
problems that prevents us from booting into maintenance mode, but we can
come up in normal mode. We have the Power PC 604 processor upgrade, but
haven't installed it yet.  We have the AIX 4.1.4 on bootable media, but
not all of the patches required for the 604 processor are on it.  Is it
possible to install the processor upgrade and boot the machine off of
the CD-ROM (without all the required patches) and proceed from there?

Oh, and please don't suggest a bootable mksysb or bos tape since my tape
drive is eating tapes these days....

Thanks in advance.

Cynthia Baughman
System Administrator
Sequel Systems, Inc.

(972)997-9000

Processor Upgrade

Post by Clinton Wo » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have an RS/6000 Model G30 running AIX 4.1.3.  The CPU is having
>problems that prevents us from booting into maintenance mode, but we can
>come up in normal mode. We have the Power PC 604 processor upgrade, but
>haven't installed it yet.  We have the AIX 4.1.4 on bootable media, but
>not all of the patches required for the 604 processor are on it.  Is it
>possible to install the processor upgrade and boot the machine off of
>the CD-ROM (without all the required patches) and proceed from there?

We have a RS/6000 Modem G30 running AIX 4.1.4 at our site as well. We were
told by the IBM techs that we need to upgrade the OS to AIX 4.1.5 before
the 604 processor upgrade can be installed. We received the AIX 4.1.5
package in the mail this morning and I'll be installing it this week.

Calgary, Alberta                   Home Page: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~cework

Processor Upgrade

Post by Luis Quintan » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

We have a J30 and I upgraded over a month ago from a 4-way 601 to a
4-way 604 running AIX 4.1.4.0. I have had no problems whatsoever. The
upgrade has been totally transparent to the users other than the increase
in speed.