7137 Disk Array and LUN configuration

Post by Dave Schnardthor » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have recently moved to a new job where our 7137 Disk arrays are all setup
in a multi-lun configuration.  Most configurations that I have worked on have
all been Single-lun.  My questions are:

1) Is there any benefit to having these arrays in a multi-lun configuration?

2) Are there any performance implications when running in a multi-lun
   configuration vs. single lun?  I have noticed considerable performance
   degradation which appears to be due to IO and thought this may be a factor
   in correcting the issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deutsche Financial Services            *     URL: http://www.dfsc.com
655 Maryville Centre Drive             *   Phone: (314)523-3884
Saint Louis, MO  63141                 *     Fax: (314)523-3260

7137 Disk Array and LUN configuration

Post by Simon Marches » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Well, you get smaller chunks (hdisks) to play with. That might be good if you want
to allocate the disk across more than one machine (twin- or more tail). As for the
I/O, you've done a benchmark of the same workload against both a single LUN config
and a multi-LUN config? Can we see the numbers?

> I have recently moved to a new job where our 7137 Disk arrays are all setup
> in a multi-lun configuration.  Most configurations that I have worked on have
> all been Single-lun.  My questions are:

> 1) Is there any benefit to having these arrays in a multi-lun configuration?

> 2) Are there any performance implications when running in a multi-lun
>    configuration vs. single lun?  I have noticed considerable performance
>    degradation which appears to be due to IO and thought this may be a factor
>    in correcting the issues.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Deutsche Financial Services            *     URL: http://www.dfsc.com
> 655 Maryville Centre Drive             *   Phone: (314)523-3884
> Saint Louis, MO  63141                 *     Fax: (314)523-3260

1. 7137 disk array problem

we have two IBM RS-6000 ( J-40 ) and  1 no. of 7137 disk array in one of
our customer location. The disk array has been configured both in
cascading and concurrent mode. We have tried to load oracle
7.3( parallel server ) in the concurrent vol. group.Aix ver is 4.2.0.0.
while creating raw partition and database ( table space ) in the raw
partiton the system showing " media srface error "in hdisk2 & hdisk3.
error code: c050 & c030 respectively.
we had ran media certification in curren shell diag. in both hdisk2 &
hdisk3 in the concurren vol . group. but it went through w/o any error.
Then we removed hdisk2 & hdisk3 from con.vol. gr. and configured
the concurrent vol. gr. with other disks, and reinitialized the whole
disk array.Still the same prob. persists while working with oracle 8.
We had gone through the manuals of RS-6000 & 7137 disk array but
could not found any such error code mentioned above.
It is unknown to us whethere the error is due to hard disk media, or due
to AIX 4.2 or, due to oracle 7.3.
pls. provide us some solution at the earliest.

2. Q: Solaris Interrupts

3. help to array notseeing LUNs on 2nd and 3rd disk array

4. NE3200 NIC support

5. 7137-514 RAID Array

6. USB Stick

7. 7137 with disks bigger than * Gb

8. Java-Linux Page ?

9. Need a Help regarding 7137-414 disk subsystem.

10. Trying to access 2nd Lun on SCSI disk array under Linux

11. Find Manual for IBM 7137-414

12. 7137 Device Drivers for 4.3.3

13. 7137 RAID Drive failure??