Any Info on "new" AIX ???

Post by Bob Mariot » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Over the past year or so we have read that AIX has been selected as
the basis for the new 64 bit OS.  As a result it will most likely be
available for RS6K's.  Does anyone have any additional poop on this?
Name, availability, platforms, etc?
As we must plan to upgrade a few dozen systems we would prefer to wait
for a newer OS that go to 4.3.x first.

TIA

Any Info on "new" AIX ???

Post by Alex Robinso » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Bob,

You may be thinking of 'Monterey'? Keep an eye on this group for a few days
and no doubt you'll see discussions about this.

However, AIX 4.3.3.0 is 64bit. So, if it is just the 64bit of the OS you are
interested in then why wait?

--
Regards,
Alex Robinson

Any Info on "new" AIX ???

Post by Dave Marquard » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> You may be thinking of 'Monterey'? Keep an eye on this group for a few days
> and no doubt you'll see discussions about this.

> However, AIX 4.3.3.0 is 64bit. So, if it is just the 64bit of the OS you are
> interested in then why wait?

AIX 4.3.3.0 is able to run 64-bit applications.  The kernel runs in
32-bit mode.  Monterrey/AIX's kernel will run in 64-bit mode.

-Dave

Any Info on "new" AIX ???

Post by Friedhelm Neye » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi Bob

I suppose you mean Monterey - if so, you can look at

 http://www.projectmonterey.com

there are some pdf-files about this new stuff

Bob Mariotti schrieb:

Quote:> Over the past year or so we have read that AIX has been selected as
> the basis for the new 64 bit OS.  As a result it will most likely be
> available for RS6K's.  Does anyone have any additional poop on this?
> Name, availability, platforms, etc?
> As we must plan to upgrade a few dozen systems we would prefer to wait
> for a newer OS that go to 4.3.x first.

> TIA

Any Info on "new" AIX ???

Post by Gus Schlachte » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Over the past year or so we have read that AIX has been selected as
> the basis for the new 64 bit OS.  As a result it will most likely be
> available for RS6K's.  Does anyone have any additional poop on this?
> Name, availability, platforms, etc?
> As we must plan to upgrade a few dozen systems we would prefer to wait
> for a newer OS that go to 4.3.x first.

> TIA

I think I would prefer to do modest upgrades once a year than wait for a long
time and try to make a huge leap.  Going to AIX433 might not be that tough,
depending on what level you're at, and it will certainly be easier to migrate to
Monterey from a higher AIX level than a lower one.

And while I might want to be one of the first on my block with Moneterey, I
certainly wouldn't want to be the first to migrate a prefectly-working
production system to it!  I'm sure the features in will be 99% bug-free but
there will undoubtedly be compromises in the initial release that may not be
suitable for your environment.  But there's no way to know until it's out, at
which point you'll be thinking "Gee, I have to wait another 6 months, I should
have upgraded last year, bummer."

JMHO

Gus