Tunable Kernel Parameters

Post by Tom Hoffma » Fri, 15 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I have recently moved from HP to AIX. Our DBA has asked me to confirm
the defined valued for the following shared memory and semaphore kernel
parameters: shmmax, shmmin, shmmni, shmseg, semmni, semmsl, semmns,
semopm, and semvmx.  In HP I know right where to go, but in AIX i
haven't a clue. I have searched all the AIX documents online and came
up empty, and none of these shows up with 'no -a'. Where do I go to
check for these values?

Tunable Kernel Parameters

Post by bo » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 15:33:56

Same thing requested in the informix release notes, don't stress
about them, though I'd suggest you watch the amount of shared memory
segments your database engine allocates, aix allows 11 per process.

brett

[This followup was posted to comp.unix.aix and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

Quote:> I have recently moved from HP to AIX. Our DBA has asked me to confirm
> the defined valued for the following shared memory and semaphore kernel
> parameters: shmmax, shmmin, shmmni, shmseg, semmni, semmsl, semmns,
> semopm, and semvmx.  In HP I know right where to go, but in AIX i
> haven't a clue. I have searched all the AIX documents online and came
> up empty, and none of these shows up with 'no -a'. Where do I go to
> check for these values?

Tunable Kernel Parameters

Post by Iain Robert » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

AIX does not have these parameters.  Unlike HP-UX and Solaris, it has a
self-tuning kernel.  Your DBA will find this out if he/she reads the manual
on installing the database on AIX.

This all means that you don't have to do a thing - AIX takes care of it all
for you.  Go and have a beer.

Iain.