setting up virtual printer (HP LJ 4)

Post by Matt » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I'm in a bit of a bind, so here goes....

I believe what I need to do is set up a virtual printer (re:
smitty mkvirprt), but I'm at a loss to get this working. I have
a couple of networked printers that go through a device called
a "Lantronix EPS2 print server". This device has its own MAC
address and does respond to a ping from my AIX system, so I know
that I can get there from here.

My first confusion factor is whether I should be
selecting "remote", "hpJetDirect", "ltc" (in case the Lantronix
device is considered a "concentrator") or "other".

Has anyone set one of these up?  There is a server name on the
lantronix device (ie. EPS_0ede66) - but since I'm using another
name that corresponds to my IP address (which pings, and
EPS_0ede66 obviously doesn't (since I haven't assigned that name
an IP address)), I think that this name is useless to me (right
or wrong?).  There is also an old dot matrix printer that sits
off of the Lantronix device (BTW, both of these printers work
fine from an old Sequoia system (I'm switching over to a Bull
AIX box running 4.3.3 and these printers are one of the
last "gotchas")).  I haven't even started trying to get the dot
matrix working - I figured that the HP's would be a piece of
cake.

Any takers w/suggestions?

TIA

- Matt

setting up virtual printer (HP LJ 4)

Post by Matt » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Thought that I would add more to my previous posting.  According
to Lantronix web site, I should be selecting "remote", but after
that I'm still baffled.  I know that lpd is running (startsrc'ed
it prior to starting setup).......my next thought is that I need
to know the name of the queue on the Lantronix box.  I telneted
into the lantronix and did a "show queue all", but I get a "no
connections pending".

Still no go.  Help!!!!

TIA

- Matt

Post by Andy Woodcoc » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I'm in a bit of a bind, so here goes....

> I believe what I need to do is set up a virtual printer (re:
> smitty mkvirprt), but I'm at a loss to get this working. I have
> a couple of networked printers that go through a device called
> a "Lantronix EPS2 print server". This device has its own MAC
> address and does respond to a ping from my AIX system, so I know
> that I can get there from here.

> My first confusion factor is whether I should be
> selecting "remote", "hpJetDirect", "ltc" (in case the Lantronix
> device is considered a "concentrator") or "other".

> Has anyone set one of these up?  There is a server name on the
> lantronix device (ie. EPS_0ede66) - but since I'm using another
> name that corresponds to my IP address (which pings, and
> EPS_0ede66 obviously doesn't (since I haven't assigned that name
> an IP address)), I think that this name is useless to me (right
> or wrong?).  There is also an old dot matrix printer that sits
> off of the Lantronix device (BTW, both of these printers work
> fine from an old Sequoia system (I'm switching over to a Bull
> AIX box running 4.3.3 and these printers are one of the
> last "gotchas")).  I haven't even started trying to get the dot
> matrix working - I figured that the HP's would be a piece of
> cake.

> Any takers w/suggestions?

> TIA

> - Matt

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *

Hi Matt,
Can't say that I've come across a Lantronix before but it sounds very like
a netport printserver. These behave like remote plot servers, so go into
smit, print spooling, add a print queue, remote, standard processing (to
start with), then you get a panel. Name of queue to add is the queue name
on the RS (anything you like), hostname of remote server is the name you
can ping and telnet to (it has to be in /etc/hosts), name of queue on
remote server will be in the documentation for the device (on a netport
this is ps1), if you don't have this see if you can find anything on thier
website. Accept defaults for all else.
An HP Jet direct card will be specific to one printer, so it doesn't sound
like what you have there. I dont know what an ltc is I'm afraid.

Hope this helps,
Andy

1. getting Pagecount from HP LJ printers.

I have read that there is some way to get a value back from Hewlett
Packard Laserjets III series and IV series showing what the total
pagecount printer from them is.

What i'm trying to do is have a wrapper around lp that will query
the HPLJ III and HPLJ4 we use in the lab for the pages it has
printer in its lifetime, then print the incoming job, then query
it again for it's pagecount, this way it could figure out how many
pages were printed.

We're having a major problem with students printing page after page after
page of documentations and manual pages that they could keep online and
then they're moving paper from the Mac printers and IBM printers to the
HP printers and using them completely up.!

is there such a way to find out this lifetime page count value?

thanx!

william c devine ii

youngest system administrator on earth (21)
---------------

2. US-CO-Denver/Boulder-Unix Admins

3. Which filter for HP LJ 5MP printer

4. Nokia 6185 and Solaris PPP (asppp)

5. Star Office 3.1 & HP LJ Series II printer

6. Shared Objects question

7. Accounting filter for HP LJ 4M+ printer

8. Making Doom larger on Solaris 2.3

9. HP LJ 4 printer connected to paralel port of ultra 5??

10. RH 4.1 and HP LJ 5L Printer

11. QMS-PS/410 Printer (Postscript & HP LJ-2) Question

12. Help: Printer Setup HP LJ 4P

13. hp LJ 1000 printer