AIX 1.2 and Maxtor 660 MB disk: Please help

AIX 1.2 and Maxtor 660 MB disk: Please help

Post by HAA » Wed, 12 Dec 1990 03:07:14

I am having trouble installing AIX 1.2 on an IBM Model 80 with a Maxtor
660 MB SCSI disk. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

So far:
I've installed the disk (with the IBM SCSI controller) and it works fines
under DOS. I changed the fsmap file on my installation disks to include
the larger disk. I installed AIX. The installation went OK, but AIX will
not boot from the hard disk. I get the following error message:

HD error: cyl 65114 trk 65517 sector 17 nsects 8 drive 0
undefined error (0) occured
dlook: not a directory
/boot not found
bload: can't open boot
boot strap panic: Unexpected exit in boot code

When I try to run minidisks, I get this error:

040-006 The "minidisk command could not complete because it detected that
        hard disk "hdisk0" has an invalid AIX volume Table of Contents.
        Please see your messages reference book.

However, error 040-006 in my messages book is NOT the same error.

Apparently, the installation program uses a temporary integer value to
describe the disk parameters, which limits the disk size description to
512 MB. this makes sense as the above boot error reports bogus cyl and trk
info. I have been given patch instructions to search for, and replace,
a binary string on the installation disk. This is supposed to change the
temperary value to a long value, but a search of the install disk doesn't
find the required string. At this point, it seems I could simply patch the
values on the boot sector of the hard disk to represent the correct disk
parameters, IF I knew where to look . . . .

ANY help at all on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

---
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/EB          "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

1. AIX 1.2 and Maxtor SCSI hard disk - HELP PLEASE!

Has anyone EVER installed a SCSI adapter and a non-IBM hard disk to
a PS/2 running AIX 1.2 ?!?!

I can't get a straight answer out of IBM about this. Some folks say yes,
others no, and NO-ONE will say enough to give me any idea what I
should do.

SITUATION:

I have an IBM PS/2 Model 80, AIX 1.2 and a Maxtor XT-8760s (660 MB SCSI
hard disk). I have ordered the IBM 6451109 non-cache SCSI controller.
Can anyone say - for sure - that AIX 1.2 and the 6451109 will be able
to talk to, and fully format, tha Maxtor drive? Has anyone DONE this
or something similar?

What I know so far:

AIX 1.1 does not support SCSI. AIX 1.2 does. (I have CSDs to 1006)
AIX ONLY supports the IBM SCSI adapters. (other adapters will work under
DOS, OS/2, Novell, Xenix, etc., but **NOT** AIX: grrrr ) AIX 1.2 and the
6451109 wants to see a ANSI compatible (standard X3.131, level 2 ??) SCSI
disk. And although an IBM technical support person said that "all you need
is an ANSI compatible SCSI disk", ANOTHER IBM person has said that AIX
only supports the IBM 120 and 320 MB Hard disks.

What I need:

I need to know what I must do in order to install the hard disk. I
figure when the adapter gets here, I'll copy the ADF, install the
controller, run the reference disk to configure the adapter. THEN,
I'll try to boot AIX from floppy, and install AIX to the SCSI hard disk.
(The SCSI disk is the only hard disk in the system.) I'm having a dificult
time believing that this will work. Any help, please?

Harry Haas
---
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/EB          "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

2. sed

3. I need help finding driver for D-link DE-660/DE-660+

4. Adaptec 2940U can not be detected

5. AIX 1.2 is dead (was X server for PS/2 XGA under AIX 1.2)

6. Colorado (HP) Trakker Tape Drives with Linux

7. 1.2 G Maxtor hard disk

8. Remove unused variable from utdebug.c

9. ESDI Controllers and 330/660 MB Drives

10. 1.2 MB Floppy for Linux Boot / Root Diskā€²s ???

11. Help, MAXTOR 1.2 drive.

12. WD 220 MB and Maxtor 540 MB

13. how to build disk quotas into a AIX PS/2 1.2 kernal