device file of a logical volume?

Post by Ibrahim DOG » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 04:23:27

anybody knows how to get device file of a logical volume?

my dev file is /dev/rdbdms2 and logical volume is dbdms2..

couldn't see the dev file name in lsvg or lslv output..

or is 'r' is sued as fixed prefix for device files of logical volumes?

Thanks,
ibo
Sybase/Oracle DBA

Post by Nicholas Drone » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 07:57:59

> anybody knows how to get device file of a logical volume?
> my dev file is /dev/rdbdms2 and logical volume is dbdms2..
> couldn't see the dev file name in lsvg or lslv output..
> or is 'r' is sued as fixed prefix for device files of logical volumes?

The files named /dev/r[logical volume name] are the character
device special files.  These are probably the files you
care about as a DBA if your site uses raw logical volumes.

Regards,

Nicholas

1. How to Recover files in a Volume Group and Logical Volume (VG, LV)

I got the error message "Error in reading Kernal" when I use some SAM
function, like Disk function. So I want to recover the system with a
full-backup'd tape. I've booted up the station as a cluster client, and then
I am going to restore with the tape, but I found I don't know how to mount
the logical volumes back. They seem lost in the cluster client environment.

Does anyone here know how to mount the logical volumes? Must I re-create all
the volume group and logical volumes one by one?

My machine is HP9000/745 station running HPUX10.20.
The orginal file system:
  pv: /dev/dsk/c0t6d0, /dev/dsk/c0t5d0
  vg: /dev/vg06
  lv: lvroot, lvhome, lvusr, lvopt, lvvar, lvtmp.

Thank you in advance.
LinZai Zhang.

2. Solaris 2.5, 1000E, automount problem

3. Restoring volume Group device files w/out restoring actual volume groups

4. X windows - resolution

5. RAW LOGICAL VOLUME AS CHARACTER SPECIAL DEVICE

6. Finding IP address of telnet session?

7. raw-device logical volume

8. Linux and 3C509 cards

9. Using DiskSuite ufs logging on Volume Manager logical volumes?

10. Volume groups,logical volumes question

11. Sorting Logical Volumes in Volume Group

12. Removing volume groups, logical volume, and paging space

13. file system > 4G? logical volume manager