Taking memory out of an RS/6000

Post by Matt Emers » Thu, 30 May 1991 11:45:42

For complex reasons, I needed to take 8Mb of ram (one memory card) out
of an RS/6000 model 320.  Now that it has only 8Mb of ram left, it won't
boot. It gives error 949 on the red 3-digit display (means direct-attached
disk isn't responding, or some other seemingly irrelevant problem).

Is there anything I can do to avoid reinstalling AIX?

--
Matt Emerson

Taking memory out of an RS/6000

Post by Bob Sha » Thu, 30 May 1991 15:15:23

A special version of the kernel is built on 8MB systems,
which uses somewhat less memory.  This kernel will also
run with more memory, but not the other way around.

My first computer had 2000 6-bit words.  Doesn't seem
THAT long ago.  Anyone want to place bets on when the
first operating system which won't boot in 1GB RAM will
be shipped?
--

IBM Champaign

Post by Jon Alper » Thu, 30 May 1991 20:34:57

|> My first computer had 2000 6-bit words.  Doesn't seem
|> THAT long ago.  Anyone want to place bets on when the
|> first operating system which won't boot in 1GB RAM will
|> be shipped?
|> --
|>

|> IBM Champaign

   Better yet...does anyone want to bet it will probably come
from IBM?????? :-}
--
Jon Alperin
Bell Communications Research

---> Voicenet: (908) 699-8674
---> UUNET: uunet!bcr!jona

* All opinions and stupid questions are my own *

Post by Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C- » Thu, 30 May 1991 23:03:27

>For complex reasons, I needed to take 8Mb of ram (one memory card) out
>of an RS/6000 model 320.  Now that it has only 8Mb of ram left, it won't
>boot. It gives error 949 on the red 3-digit display (means direct-attached
>disk isn't responding, or some other seemingly irrelevant problem).

>Is there anything I can do to avoid reinstalling AIX?

>--
>Matt Emerson

Yes, there is something that can be done - you will need to edit
/usr/bin/bosboot and then rerun bosboot -a.  If you can temporarily get back
that 8MB card to get back to 16MB, then you won't need to boot in maintenance
mode; otherwise, you will.

After you've booted your machine, (after running /etc/continue if in
maintenance mode), edit /usr/bin/bosboot.  Look for a comment which will say
something like "If there is only 8MB of memory, must compress the RAM disk".
Comment out the "if [ "$sizemem" -le 8192 ]" the "then" that follows, then
the "fi" which follows that.  Write the file back to disk.  sync if you
are in maintenance mode.  Then, run bosboot -a.  You should then have
a system which will boot in 8MB.
--
Marc Stephenson               IBM PSPA (Personal System Programming - Austin,TX)
DISCLAIMER: The content of this posting is independent of official IBM position.

Post by Geoff Colem » Fri, 31 May 1991 09:24:43

>My first computer had 2000 6-bit words.  Doesn't seem
>THAT long ago.  Anyone want to place bets on when the
>first operating system which won't boot in 1GB RAM will
>be shipped?
>--

>IBM Champaign

        Nope but I sure will bet on which company will come up with it :-)

Geoff Coleman

Post by Chin Fa » Fri, 31 May 1991 12:05:43

>>My first computer had 2000 6-bit words.  Doesn't seem
>>THAT long ago.  Anyone want to place bets on when the
>>first operating system which won't boot in 1GB RAM will
>>be shipped?
>>--

>>IBM Champaign

>    Nope but I sure will bet on which company will come up with it :-)

You know the answer, I know the answer and he knows the answer.  The company's
name is spelled as I?M [ middle char left out so their attonies won't be
able to nail me :-). BTW, if they happen to know regexp, I would change my
face to :-( ]

Have a nice day.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University

1. RS/6000 error msgs (Was: Re: RS/6000 survey - will post summary)

[LANG=En_US]  ksh: kjj: 0403-016 Cannot find or open the file.
[LANG=C]      ksh: kjj: cannot open

[LANG=En_US]  0506-764 ln: /tmp: Cannot use this command with a directory.
[LANG=C]      ln : </tmp> directory

 Canonicalizing all the error msgs by assigning them numbers and more
verbose explanations isn't such a bad idea, but it will hardly make
the system usable by secretaries. It does nothing to prevent an
accidental "rm *" or hide the details of the filesystem from the user.
Secretaries will run Motif and shrink-wrapped applications in
which case they will probably never [want to] use Unix shells. And they
shouldn't need to.
 The big gain here will be made by IBM SEs who will now be able to
look up customers' complaints by the error number.

    I haven't heard about IBM shipping *anything* on a Powerstation
yet. You can buy SunOS 4.1 *today* which is B2 certified.
And AT&T is advertising System V/MLS which is B1
certified -- I don't know if it's shipping yet.
    If security is important to you, you sure don't want to go with
a measly C2 rated system.

      ---Jason
-----

Jason Martin Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055

UUCP    : cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  the American spirit and continues to
BIX     : jlevitt                     |  show us the way to follow our dreams."
                                      |             -Ronald Reagan [1990]

2. Installing Linux and Win XP on same Machine

3. Fonts for InfoExplorer on RS/6000 (was: Re: Font problems on RS/6000 running X11R5)

4. 3c905B running DHCP in Red Hat 5.1

5. RS/6000 memory and virtual memory

6. RedHat 6.0 --> NT laptop

7. FS older RS/6000 memory

8. X Window Exploded???Help! please!

9. Memory Upgrades for RS/6000

10. RS/6000 memory questions

11. RS/6000 590; should memory be in pairs or fours?

12. FS: 4095 Memory Cards, RS/6000