java and AIX 4.3.3 ML 10, and Java 1.4

Post by Peter Camero » Thu, 23 May 2002 17:08:44

We've developed a Swing client application that we run on our RS6000, AIX
4.3.3 with Maintenance Level 10. We use Java 1.3.1.

We have two problems:

The Java Swing performance is abysmal (it's fine on other platforms), and
was the same with 1.2.2 and 1.3.0. Others seem to have this problem, and
presumably this is due to IBM's implementation of the JVM and/or IBM's X?
I'm hoping Java 1.4 with its improved 2D engine solves this, but no sign of
it for AIX yet :(

Our application has started producing core dumps from time to time, or at
least javacore text files. I don't recall this happening with Java 1.3.0.
Each file listed in the javacore file doesn't exist so we're unable to
trace what the problem is. Nothing else is running except for our Java
application.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Peter

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. cdrecord and LG CD-RW CED-8080B

3. Java 1.4 on AIX?

4. Need Help! Accessing globals in MIPS loadable module gets core dump

5. Why is java so slow on a SPARC 10/30 running Java 1.2

6. A linux prog. that talks to a prog on a windows PC

7. Java 1.4 SDK AIX 4.3.3

8. affs freezes kernel 2.2.11

9. Java 1.4 for AIX?

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. java/50729: java/jdk14: broken java.net.NetworkInterface calls

12. java/47447: linux-sun-jdk1.4.1: java command can't find java.lang.Object