nmap and AIX install problems

nmap and AIX install problems

Post by mike » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:03:36



Has anyone got nmap working on an RS6000 with setup as I have listed?

I installed nmap 2.53 on AIX 4.3.3 ML8. I am using gcc 2.95 as my
compiler. Everytime I tried to run nmap, I get the following error:

nmap -v myhost.mydomain


)
No tcp,udp, or ICMP scantype specified, assuming vanilla tcp connect()
scan. Use -sP if you really don't want to portscan (and just want to
see what hosts are up).
WARNING!  The following files exist and are readable:
/usr/local/share/nmap/nmap-services and ./nmap-services.  I am
choosing /usr/local/share/nmap/nmap-services for security reasons.
set NMAPDIR=. to give priority to files in your local directory
pcap_open_live: /dev/lo0: No such file or directory
There are several possible reasons for this, depending on your
operating system:
LINUX: If you are getting Socket type not supported, try modprobe
af_packet or recompile your kernel with SOCK_PACKET enabled.
*BSD:  If you are getting device not configured, you need to recompile
your kernel with Berkeley Packet Filter support.  If you are getting
No such file or directory, try creating the device (eg cd /dev;
MAKEDEV <device>; or use mknod).
SOLARIS:  If you are trying to scan localhost and getting '/dev/lo0:
No such file or directory', complain to Sun.  I don't think Solaris
can support advanced localhost scans.  You can probably use "-P0 -sT
localhost" though.

I tried configured nmap with ./configure  --host=rs6000-ibm-aix4.3.3.0
and then I ran make and then make install.

I also downloaded nmap-2.54 beta30, but it will not compile. The error
I get is below:

tcpip.c: In function `getsourceip':
tcpip.c:954: warning: passing arg 3 of `ngetsockname' from
incompatible pointer type
tcpip.c: In function `max_rcvbuf':
tcpip.c:1500: warning: passing arg 5 of `getsockopt' from incompatible
pointer type
        gcc -g  -I/usr/local/include -Wall  -Inbase  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-DNMAP_VERSION=\"2.54BETA30\" -DNMAP_NAME=\"nmap\"
-DNMAP_URL=\"www.insecure.org/nmap/\"
-DNMAP_PLATFORM=\"powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0\"
-DNMAPDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/nmap\" -Ilibpcap-possiblymodified  -c
nmap_error.c
        gcc -g  -I/usr/local/include -Wall  -Inbase  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-DNMAP_VERSION=\"2.54BETA30\" -DNMAP_NAME=\"nmap\"
-DNMAP_URL=\"www.insecure.org/nmap/\"
-DNMAP_PLATFORM=\"powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0\"
-DNMAPDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/nmap\" -Ilibpcap-possiblymodified  -c
utils.c
        gcc -g  -I/usr/local/include -Wall  -Inbase  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-DNMAP_VERSION=\"2.54BETA30\" -DNMAP_NAME=\"nmap\"
-DNMAP_URL=\"www.insecure.org/nmap/\"
-DNMAP_PLATFORM=\"powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0\"
-DNMAPDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/nmap\" -Ilibpcap-possiblymodified  -c
idle_scan.c
        gcc -g  -I/usr/local/include -Wall  -Inbase  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-DNMAP_VERSION=\"2.54BETA30\" -DNMAP_NAME=\"nmap\"
-DNMAP_URL=\"www.insecure.org/nmap/\"
-DNMAP_PLATFORM=\"powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0\"
-DNMAPDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/nmap\" -Ilibpcap-possiblymodified  -c
osscan.c
osscan.c: In function `get_fingerprint':
osscan.c:459: parse error before `100'
osscan.c:461: invalid lvalue in assignment
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

Thanks, all help is appreciated,

--Mike

 
 
 

nmap and AIX install problems

Post by Joachim Rin » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:22:04


Quote:> Has anyone got nmap working on an RS6000 with setup as I have listed?

> I installed nmap 2.53 on AIX 4.3.3 ML8. I am using gcc 2.95 as my
> compiler. Everytime I tried to run nmap, I get the following error:

you have installed libcap, right?

> nmap -v myhost.mydomain


<snip>
> pcap_open_live: /dev/lo0: No such file or directory

<snip>

the reason is obviously that there's no such thing as /dev/lo0 (or
/dev/en0 for that matter) on aix. try /dev/ent0 which exists on my aix
box (but i haven't installed nmap on it just to test it - late over here
in .de...) like this:

nmap -v -e /dev/ent0 -S your-ip-address-on-en0 myhost.mydomain

joachim

 
 
 

nmap and AIX install problems

Post by (Mike » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 01:35:36


Quote:

>> I installed nmap 2.53 on AIX 4.3.3 ML8. I am using gcc 2.95 as my
>> compiler. Everytime I tried to run nmap, I get the following error:

>you have installed libcap, right?

Yes, I have. I have also installed glib, gtk, bison & flex.

Quote:>the reason is obviously that there's no such thing as /dev/lo0 (or
>/dev/en0 for that matter) on aix. try /dev/ent0 which exists on my aix
>box (but i haven't installed nmap on it just to test it - late over here
>in .de...) like this:

If I do a lsparent -C -k ent, I do have that device and others.  Only
ent1 and ent3 are configured, but even though they are configured,
there is not device entry for them in /dev.  I assumed that is because
device information is stored in the ODM. I was surprised when you said
you had that device listed in /dev. It's not there on my system.

ent1 Available 20-60 IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PCI Adapter (23100020)
ent2 Available 20-70 IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PCI Adapter (23100020)
ent3 Available A0-60 IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PCI Adapter (23100020)
ent0 Available 10-58 IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter (22100020)

If I list the configured adapters with ifconfig -a, it gives slightly
different device names, but they do not exist in /dev either.

en1:
flags=4e080863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,GROUPRT,64BIT,PSEG>
        inet xxx.xx.xx.xx netmask 0xffffff80 broadcast xxx.xx.xx.xxx
en3:
flags=4e080863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,GROUPRT,64BIT,PSEG>
        inet xxx.xx.xx.xxx netmask 0xffffff80 broadcast xxx.xx.xx.xxx
lo0:
flags=e08084b<UP,BROADCAST,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,GROUPRT,64BIT>
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 127.255.255.255
        inet6 ::1/0

Quote:>nmap -v -e /dev/ent0 -S your-ip-address-on-en0 myhost.mydomain

I tried that, but it didn't work for me.  Of course that wasn't
surprising, since I don't have an entx device listed in /dev

Did you make the dev file /dev/ent0 manually or did your system just
have that after you installed AIX?

Thanks for your help and suggestions,

--Mike

 
 
 

nmap and AIX install problems

Post by Paul Landa » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 03:23:46


Quote:> >the reason is obviously that there's no such thing as /dev/lo0 (or
> >/dev/en0 for that matter) on aix. try /dev/ent0 which exists on my aix
> >box (but i haven't installed nmap on it just to test it - late over here
> >in .de...) like this:

> If I do a lsparent -C -k ent, I do have that device and others.  Only
> ent1 and ent3 are configured, but even though they are configured,
> there is not device entry for them in /dev.  I assumed that is because
> device information is stored in the ODM. I was surprised when you said
> you had that device listed in /dev. It's not there on my system.

> ent1 Available 20-60 IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PCI Adapter (23100020)
> ent2 Available 20-70 IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PCI Adapter (23100020)
> ent3 Available A0-60 IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PCI Adapter (23100020)
> ent0 Available 10-58 IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter (22100020)

> If I list the configured adapters with ifconfig -a, it gives slightly
> different device names, but they do not exist in /dev either.

     :

Quote:> I tried that, but it didn't work for me.  Of course that wasn't
> surprising, since I don't have an entx device listed in /dev

> Did you make the dev file /dev/ent0 manually or did your system just
> have that after you installed AIX?
> Thanks for your help and suggestions,

The /dev/ent0 will only exist for older (MCA) adapters
when the bos.compat/lan fileset is installed.  It does
not exist for the newer (PCI) adapters.

Paul Landay

 
 
 

nmap and AIX install problems

Post by Joachim Rin » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 07:37:42


Quote:> > Did you make the dev file /dev/ent0 manually or did your system just
> > have that after you installed AIX?

i didn't touch /dev...

Quote:> The /dev/ent0 will only exist for older (MCA) adapters
> when the bos.compat/lan fileset is installed.  It does
> not exist for the newer (PCI) adapters.

that about explains it. it's not really an mca adapter though, but the
internal lan of an m20, but it fits the timeframe...

thanks for the sage advice...

btw, i found the following while googling around. they describe the same
problem (missing enX device files in aix) for a different application
and mention some way to make them...
haven't tried though...

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:xVb-zFg-ppg:www.ntop.org/faq.html+n
map+aix+en0&hl=de

good luck,


 
 
 

1. Install AIX V4.2.1 on H50 which installed AIX V4.3.2 already

It was found that the non-volatile memory corrupted after installing AIX
V4.2.1 on H50 which installed AIX V4.3.2 already (the machine cannot be
re-started and stopped at E1DC which was shown on the LED display).

Is there any method to downgrade the OS?

Many thanks!

Leo

2. MS Explorer 4.0 for Unix

3. nmap, libpcap on AIX 4.3.3-ML4 (with TCB)

4. linux "freezes" frequently

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Why are these ports open?

7. Can't install ANY 3rd party applications in Redhat 7.0 (i.e. nmap) !!

8. Where can I get a couple of *.h's?

9. installing nmap without X windows?

10. Trouble installing NMAP

11. Upgrade AIX/ Install cdrom on 520h AIX 3.2.5

12. AIX: install. over older AIX version HOW

13. Install package AiX 3.2 on AiX 4.3