Print from IBM mainframe to UNIX

Post by Bjorn Lars » Sat, 05 Oct 1991 15:57:38

[Please excuse the crossposting -- I'm not quite sure which is the
appropriate newsgroup for this     -bl]

My company uses IBM mainframes rather heavily. On the IBM boxes, we
use a print system named PSF, which generates print output in a format
named IPDS (Intelligent Printer Data Stream). As far as I gather, IPDS
is a IBM proprietary page description language.

We are in the process of aquiring a large number of UNIX systems
(servers and workstations of various brands), most of them with
local PostScript printers attached.

What we need is some way to access these printers from the mainframes.

Does anybody know of software that will let a UNIX server mimic a
3270-connected IPDS printer, translate the IPDS datastream to PostScript,
and send the output to an appropriate printer?

Any other solutions would be interesting: special hardware to do this,
or software in the mainframe are possibilities that spring to mind.
PD or commercial. Cheap or expensive. We have money :-)

[ warning: I know preciously little about IBM mainframes and
the software that runs on them. Any information about IPDS would
be welcome as well. ]

---
Bjorn Larsen                            STATOIL, DATA/TD

Print from IBM mainframe to UNIX

Post by Paul Gilmart » Sat, 05 Oct 1991 23:54:45

PSF doesn't really do much in the way of generating IPDS -- it can convert
a plain text file to IPDS to drive a printer.  Anything fancier is generated
by some application such as SCRIPT/VS/DCF (IBM's nroff).  DCF, at least,
has the option of generating PostScript output.  I don't know what other
applications you need to support, but if they also produce PostScript,
you can avoid IPDS altogether.

As a last resort, IBM's Processmaster product contains a software filter
to convert IPDS to PostScript.

Beware in any case.  IBM has, for example, a LPR and LPD, but another
newsgroup (I forget, perhaps comp.protocols.ibm) has regular traffic from
users frustrated by the deficiencies in IBM's LPR/LPD.

Print from IBM mainframe to UNIX

Post by Phil Weinga » Wed, 09 Oct 1991 00:08:55

Quote:

>My company uses IBM mainframes rather heavily. On the IBM boxes, we
>use a print system named PSF, which generates print output in a format
>named IPDS (Intelligent Printer Data Stream). As far as I gather, IPDS
>is a IBM proprietary page description language.

Correct.

>We are in the process of aquiring a large number of UNIX systems
>(servers and workstations of various brands), most of them with
>local PostScript printers attached.

>What we need is some way to access these printers from the mainframes.

>Does anybody know of software that will let a UNIX server mimic a
>3270-connected IPDS printer, translate the IPDS datastream to PostScript,
>and send the output to an appropriate printer?

>Any other solutions would be interesting: special hardware to do this,
>or software in the mainframe are possibilities that spring to mind.
>PD or commercial. Cheap or expensive. We have money :-)

QMS markets a product called AFPLink which might serve your need.  AFPLink
is a 3270-attached device which converts IPDS (in EBCDIC) to Postscript (in
ascii) and puts the result out on a serial or parallel port.  It is designed
for a 1-to-1 relationship with a printer, however, so in your environment
you would have to do 1 of 3 possible things:

1) You could use the mainframe as the print server, and send your Unix-
generated postscript files up to the mainframe, and then down through the
AFPLink box in passthrough mode.  This would slow down your printing from the
Unix environment.

2) You could take the serial line from AFPLink and attach it to a serial port
on one of the Unix hosts as an input source.  This would require a little
programming so that your Unix box would know to move the input data stream from
AFPLink to a file, then move the file to the print spooler.

3) You could get a printer with simultaneous input ports, like the QMS PS 410
or PS 2000, along with AFPLink.  With the PS 2000, you could attach the printer
to the ethernet network and use tcp/ip to send data to the printer from Unix;
you could then attach AFPLink to the printer using serial comm, and let them
both talk to the printer simultaneously.  With the PS 410, you can talk serial
from the Unix host and Parallel from AFPLink.

Your nearest contact for AFPLink is the QMS office in the Netherlands.  Contact
QMS B.V., Reactorweg 160, Box 6540, NL-3503 RM Utrecht, in the Netherlands.
Telephone 3-30-420129.

/phil weingart
QMS CustoMer Technical Support

1. IBM mainframe to UNIX print spool

Hi out there,

I'm trying to set up a Linux print spool solution for our network at
UCLA.  The print spool host is a RedHat Linux 5.2 box. It is
successfully spooling jobs from Sun, WindowsNT, Workstation, and other
Linux boxes. But I can't seem to get the IBM mvs mainframes to print
through this server. Both mainframes are using a package called VPS.  I
get a response in the printlogs which say:

May  7 09:41:58 sambaptr1 lpd[560]: aisprod.ais.ucla.edu requests
recvjob LPMF
May  7 09:41:58 sambaptr1 lpd[560]: can't find user - can't fork

I have made appropriate entries in the /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.lpd

The print files actually do arrive on my system. I can cat the contents
of the print file and control files. Data does exist in the spool
directory. So, How do I find out what user my lpd is trying to spawn as.
There is nothing in the man pages about this that I've been able to
find.

Any help rendered will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lynn Ragan
UCLA - SOMITS

2. Atlas, upgrades, and the marketplace

3. UNIX for IBM mainframe???

4. Password Protected Directory

5. IBM mainframe/Unix connectivity questions/issues

6. CHAP/PAP Problem with multiple instances of ipppd

7. UNIX (AIX) mail to/from IBM mainframe PS/CICS

8. LINUX => Internet

9. A Single Windows Interface to Access UNIX, IBM Mainframe, and AS/400 hosts

10. Possible to telnet IBM mainframe -> Unix?

11. IBM mainframe to unix i386 conversions

12. Unix ----> IBM Mainframe

13. Security vulnerability in IBM mainframe z/OS Unix System Services