Copying from one RS6000 (59H) to another RS6000 (H70)

Copying from one RS6000 (59H) to another RS6000 (H70)

Post by Katherine Smit » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

I know I'm posting alot -- have several things hitting me at once.  I am
bringing my live application over to the new box and will be upgrading it.
What is the easiest way to copy the data over?  I will be setting up the
new box with the same volume groups and file systems (not in size but same
layout) for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Kathy

Copying from one RS6000 (59H) to another RS6000 (H70)

Post by Prince of Lack of Illuminatio » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

If the app installed in a seperate filesystem, a tar-tape is easiest I think.

> Hi!

> I know I'm posting alot -- have several things hitting me at once.  I am
> bringing my live application over to the new box and will be upgrading it.
> What is the easiest way to copy the data over?  I will be setting up the
> new box with the same volume groups and file systems (not in size but same
> layout) for now.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> thank you.

> Kathy

Copying from one RS6000 (59H) to another RS6000 (H70)

Post by John Jaszcza » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Cross-mount the filesystem from old system to some nebulous mount point on
the new filesystem. Then cd into the cross-mounted FS and run the following
command (example fs is /usr/datafiles)
find . -print | cpio -pdum /usr/datafiles

Check the manpages for the flags on cpio.

-JAZZ

--
John Jaszczak
Romac International

612-321-4139

>Hi!

>I know I'm posting alot -- have several things hitting me at once.  I am
>bringing my live application over to the new box and will be upgrading it.
>What is the easiest way to copy the data over?  I will be setting up the
>new box with the same volume groups and file systems (not in size but same
>layout) for now.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>thank you.

>Kathy

Copying from one RS6000 (59H) to another RS6000 (H70)

Post by Matthew Land » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

If you can do the rhosts thing, rcp is good.  It will preserve permissions
where ftp doesn't.

> Hi!

> I know I'm posting alot -- have several things hitting me at once.  I am
> bringing my live application over to the new box and will be upgrading it.
> What is the easiest way to copy the data over?  I will be setting up the
> new box with the same volume groups and file systems (not in size but same
> layout) for now.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> thank you.

> Kathy

Comments, views, and opinions are mine alone, not IBM's.

Copying from one RS6000 (59H) to another RS6000 (H70)

Post by davi.. » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

My vote:
set up rsh for root temporarily (/.rhosts), then:
cd {source dir}
tar cvf - * | rsh {target hostname} "(cd {targetdir}; tar xvf -)"

-Mark D.

In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.990908214931.7225G-

Quote:

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Copying from one RS6000 (59H) to another RS6000 (H70)

Post by Anthony Johnso » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

If you do your backups with either Sysback (IBM Direct) or Storix Backup
Administrator (http://www.storix.net), you don't even have to create the VGs
and filesystems manually. You can use either to recreate the VGs and
filesystems directly from the data on the backup, and of course, restore the
data as well.

--
--------------------
Anthony Johnson

1. Q: RS6000 59H Boot LED Error code (040)

Hi! I just picked a RS6K (model 59h). The machine is fully loaded with
ram but it has no keyboard/monitor nor HDs.

I tried booting up the machine, and it went through 2 of the LED codes
(120->124), and then the power supply stops (the fan at least) and a 040
code is displayed in the LED.

I tried looking for this error code but I wasn't able to find any
refference to it. Does anyone know what is going on.

Also does anyone have RS6000 pieces/spares in Northern Cal?

Thank you very much -in advance- for any info/help.Cheers!

F. Javier Mesa-Martinez

University of California, Santa Cruz
Computer Engineering

2. Q: concept for large network

3. Copy Device settings from one rs6000 to another

4. Help setting up e-mail forwarding and/or aliasing?>?????

5. DDS4 drives for RS6000 H70???

6. rexec connection

7. error E213 on RS6000/H70

8. Comparison between 2.4.8-ac4-new-zoned and 2.4.9pre3 VM perf

9. IBM RS6000 43P-100 , looking to buy a used RS6000 machine

10. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

11. RS6000 to RS6000 ppp or slip - won't dial with modem

12. HELP ME!!!...Wanna use Linux on RS6000 I have...but know nothing about RS6000'...!!!

13. How do I copy an ASCII file from AIX directory to floppy drive on RS6000