Is crypt(1) part of AIX?

Post by timothy.d.bo » Wed, 02 Jan 1991 01:12:21

I'm having some difficulty with the crypt(1) command on AIX 3.1.
It doesn't seem to exist.  The sales reps are unable to make a definitive
answer, so I'm looking for other data points.  The question is: did
IBM supply you with a crypt command?  If so, where is it installed, &
what package was it part of, please.

Thank you,
tim

...att!ihlpb!timborn

(ref bug report 3X389)

Is crypt(1) part of AIX?

Post by Mark Bro » Fri, 04 Jan 1991 04:16:45

|> I'm having some difficulty with the crypt(1) command on AIX 3.1.
|> It doesn't seem to exist.  The sales reps are unable to make a definitive
|> answer, so I'm looking for other data points.  The question is: did
|> IBM supply you with a crypt command?  If so, where is it installed, &
|> what package was it part of, please.

IBM does *not* ship the crypt(1) command in AIXv3.
The reason is legal, involving US export restrictions. The library function
is still there, however.

    If we aren't allowed to discuss past mistakes, we'll never learn.
      DISCLAIMER: Any personal opinions stated here are just that.

1. unix crypt() vs. AIX crypt()

Yeah, this is quite cool. Which scheme is the default?

Thomas H. Ptacek                                        Secure Networks, Inc.
http://www.enteract.com/~tqbf                         "mmm... sacrilicious"

2. Mail setup question

3. passwd hashing methods Re: unix crypt() vs. AIX crypt()

4. AIX 4.2 and Netscape 3.01

6. User PPP - error: chat script fails

7. crypt in C++ just like crypt in c library

8. Microtec E6 scanner scsi card - which driver?

9. Does Linux support crypt(1) and crypt(3)?

10. Perl(Crypt::DES, Crypt::IDEA)

11. Crypt-IDEA-1.01 AIX 4.3.3

12. need AIX replacement for system V crypt command

13. Where is CRYPT in AIX 3.2.5 ??