high waitstate ???

Post by Steve Perr » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

We upgraded our server from 4 cpus and 1 gig of ram to 8 cpus and 4 gig
of ram. The cpus are twice as fast and are 64-bit. We used the same
number of mount points, but changed the blocksize from 4k to 8k. The new
system seems to perform ok, but I see 50%+ wait times when I run
monitor. I looked for hot files, busy buffers and heavy sql, but don't
see anything. I also ran iostat. Is there anything else I can do to see
what the wait is from? Our sa said the machine is so much faster, that
the disks are causing the high waits. There has to be a way to see what
it is waiting on or where the wait is at.

Thanks,
Steve

1. Need to increase number number of waitstates...

I have been receiving...

gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

And, when I disabled my cache memory, I was able to compile without
receiving the error.  In order to fix this, I need to increase the
number of waitstates in bios.  I have been unable to find an option
that allows me to do this.  I have...

Packard Bell Legend 100CD
Pentium, 60 MHz
IDE Hard Drive (420 MB)
8 MB RAM

AMIBIOS (C)1992 American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version 1.00.03.BC03

When I enter bios these are the options I am given...

STANDARD CMOS SETUP
ADVANCED CMOS SETUP
PERIPHERAL MANAGEMENT SETUP
CONFIGURE WITH BIOS DEFAULTS
CONFIGURE WITH POWER-ON DEFAULTS
CHANGE PASSWORD
WRITE TO CMOS AND EXIT
DO WRITE TO CMOS AND EXIT

Advanced cmos setup is where I disabled cache memory.  Someone told me
that he changed the number of waitstates in Advanced Chipset Setup, but
I do not have that option.

If anyone knows how I can change the number of waitstates, please let me
know.  Or, if you can tell me what other newsgroups I could post this
question to...

Thanks in advance,

Mike Tayter

2. SIGILL illegal instruction on HPUX 11.11

3. waitstates SIMMs

4. Loadable Device Drivers

5. How High Is High ? (CPU Load)

6. loadlin and xwindows

7. high res + high color?

8. Lost cron output..

9. SiS 6205 & high high resolution modes

10. S3Virge, High Color & High Resolution

11. High Scan Rates, High IO Wait Question

12. wireless problem: high bandwidth but high latency

13. High Latency on Solaris 2.3? / High serial port latency