Q:Incorrect terminal emulation under CDE

Q:Incorrect terminal emulation under CDE

Post by ol.. » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I recently installed AIX 4.3.2 on a DPX/20 150 (RS/6000 250). I also
installed X and CDE as I have a graphical terminal on this machine.
The problem is however, that the terminal emulation when using xterms,
dterms or the console login is wrong. The escape key gives a ^] and
initially backspace gave a ^? but that is easily corrected using a
ssty erase ^?, but I do not know hot to get around the escape problem.

I tried setting the TERM variable to vt220, vt100, xterm and such
but without much luck. I have probably missed some vital info here, as
I guess there should be a rather simple way to fix this problem considering
that it should occur on all graphical installations of AIX 4.3.2, at least
those with hardware similiar to mine.

Any input on this is very welcome :)

--

Systemspesialist, AIX
Bull AS, Fyrstikkalleen 3A, PB 6144 Etterstad, 0602 Oslo, Norway

Post by Bob Shai » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I recently installed AIX 4.3.2 on a DPX/20 150 (RS/6000 250). I also
> installed X and CDE as I have a graphical terminal on this machine.
> The problem is however, that the terminal emulation when using xterms,
> dterms or the console login is wrong. The escape key gives a ^] and
> initially backspace gave a ^? but that is easily corrected using a
> stty erase ^?, but I do not know hot to get around the escape problem.

I'm not sure what you want to happen when you press the escape key.
^] is the ESC character.  What else would it generate?
(^? is the DEL character; in this case, ^H (BS) is a popular
 alternative, but I don't know of one for the escape key.)

Perhaps this is "locale" related?  It works the same for me under
AIX 3.2.5 and AIX 4.3.2, and with LANG=C and LANG=en_US
but I certainly haven't tried Norwegian.
--
Bob Shair
Open Systems Consulting

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/