newbie help with monitors in AIX

Post by Jeffry C. Nichol » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

We have an IBM AIX system running, but lately the monitor is slowing
dying.  The monitor is an IBM 6091-19, and according to
monitorworld.com, it is rated at 63.36/81.32 Khz/60/67/77 Hz horizontal
and vertical frequency respectively, sync on green, 1280x1024 max
resolution, 5 BNC connector.

So, thinking that all I had to do is match some of these numbers, I
recently bought a Sony monitor (actually a SuperMac monitor) model
#GDM-1950, sync on green, 5 BNC connector, 1280x1024 max resolution,
with rated horz. and vert. freq of 63.34KHz/60Hz respectively.

So, I plugged the monitor in, and while the image does appear, it is
messed up with respect to the "vertical hold"--kinda like the old TV
sets where it would continue to "roll" the image.  Adjustments on the
front of the monitor did nothing to change the effect.

According to SMIT, the graphics adaptors are GXT100 and GXT150.  Also,
looking around in SMIT, I found a place which is supposed to allow
display refresh rate changes, but SMIT reported that it wasn't possible
to change those values.

So, did I just waste my money on this new monitor?  Any help that I
could get on this would be greatly appreciated.  I guess another option
would be to get a different video card, but the IBM system is fairly
old, and requires ISA boards, not PCI boards.

Thanks again for any help with this.

Jeff Nichols
Rice University
Biochemistry Dept

newbie help with monitors in AIX

Post by cba.. » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> We have an IBM AIX system running, but lately the monitor is slowing
> dying.  The monitor is an IBM 6091-19, and according to
> monitorworld.com, it is rated at 63.36/81.32 Khz/60/67/77 Hz
horizontal
> and vertical frequency respectively, sync on green, 1280x1024 max
> resolution, 5 BNC connector.

> So, thinking that all I had to do is match some of these numbers, I
> recently bought a Sony monitor (actually a SuperMac monitor) model
> #GDM-1950, sync on green, 5 BNC connector, 1280x1024 max resolution,
> with rated horz. and vert. freq of 63.34KHz/60Hz respectively.

> So, I plugged the monitor in, and while the image does appear, it is
> messed up with respect to the "vertical hold"--kinda like the old TV
> sets where it would continue to "roll" the image.  Adjustments on the
> front of the monitor did nothing to change the effect.

> According to SMIT, the graphics adaptors are GXT100 and GXT150.  Also,
> looking around in SMIT, I found a place which is supposed to allow
> display refresh rate changes, but SMIT reported that it wasn't
possible
> to change those values.

> So, did I just waste my money on this new monitor?  Any help that I
> could get on this would be greatly appreciated.  I guess another
option
> would be to get a different video card, but the IBM system is fairly
> old, and requires ISA boards, not PCI boards.

> Thanks again for any help with this.

> Jeff Nichols
> Rice University
> Biochemistry Dept

I think that there are DIP switches on the graphics card to set the
sync/refresh rates.  The Micro Channel Adapters manual has settings for
the GXT150M graphics card - the settings may be similar for your
graphics cards.  Are you sure that this RS/6000 requires ISA boards -
not Micro Channel?

Cory.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Netscape plug-ins on AIX 4

Does anyone know if Netscape supports plug-ins on AIX?  I've a feeling
last time I asked the question they didn't and now they might.

RSVP if you are in the know,

alan
 Alan Donovan, FORE Audio & Video, 14 Regent Street, Cambridge CB2 1DB

2. Newbie with dial-up problems

3. Java plug-ins for AIX

4. CDROM woes - "lost interrupt" - "no medium found"

5. NetScape Plug-Ins for AIX

6. Mandrake 7.2 Video Problems

7. Newbie - Netscape plug-ins

8. install win95 after the installation of linux

9. HELP: AIX COMMAND to MONITOR REAL MEMORY USAGE

10. AIX newbie: How to find hardware/sofware configurations in AIX?

11. Help: AIX 4.3.2 memory issues (how to monitor?)

12. Newbie needs help with peculiar network monitoring problem

13. Help Newbie with Monitor