Problem with ncurses

Post by Guillaum » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

I compil a program with lib ncurses. When I run it on AIX system with lib
ncurses not installed but original curses lib, the program print on a screen
: "error opening terminal vt220".  Is there a solution to resolve this
problem without installing ncurses on target computer.

Many thanks.

Problem with ncurses

Post by Thomas Dicke » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all,
> I compil a program with lib ncurses. When I run it on AIX system with lib
> ncurses not installed but original curses lib, the program print on a screen
> : "error opening terminal vt220".  Is there a solution to resolve this
> problem without installing ncurses on target computer.

There's no guarantee that the compiled terminfo are compatible
between ncurses and AIX - in that case you must install at least
the terminfo that you use.  There's an example on my faq to do
a part of the terminfo only.

However - what version of ncurses are you using?  I had known that AIX 3.2.5's
terminfo did not work with ncurses from a long time ago, but recently noticed
that ncurses 5.0 was able to read the files (which I have for testing
purposes).  Perhaps some of the checks I made would allow it to be compatible.
Perhaps not - more information would be nice (I don't have an AIX box now).

The current version of ncurses is 5.1 (20000708)
There's an faq at
        http://dickey.his.com/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

1. newbie problem on ncurses: puzzling line break

Hello all,
I am starting with C and ncurses3.4 and hang on a problem:
As I try to write the space char to the bottom right corner, two line breaks
are produced in some cases I can't clearly say. As the space char really
should erase the char 'o' I just tried to replace space by a dot '.': no
more line breaks. All fine. Same thing today as I just took the space
character again but or'd it with A_BOLD, which switches the color for
ncurses to bold (=> bright).

So my question is: Does anyone else have had this problem once, is it a bug
or a feature (e.g. for backward compatibility) or maybe some fuss from my
'ati rage something' on an old 486dx, what I wouldn't really believe?

Christoph

2. THE BEST CD distribution???

3. problem with ncurses (Linux)

4. Wide DHCP Port...