AIX 4.3.2: Getting rid of Paging Space hd6

AIX 4.3.2: Getting rid of Paging Space hd6

Post by zilla3.. » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have an R50 system that has two paging spaces
defined (from lsps -a):

paging00  1280MB   Percent used (7%)
hd6        512MB   Percent used (20%)

Question 1:  Is the order that the swap spaces
are returned in lsps the order in which the swap
spaces used?  or does the below swapspaces file
determine that?

/etc/swapspaces is defined as follows:

hd6:
        dev = /dev/hd6

paging00:
        dev = /dev/paging00

Question 2:  Why are both swap spaces used since
neither of them are even close to being used
completely on their own?

Question 3: hd6 is on a mirrored rootvg paging00
is on a SSA RAID filesystem.  I would like to get
rid of hd6 and only use paging00 for performance
reasons.  Is this advisable if the paging space
on /dev/paging00 is large enough?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jamie

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Christopher J. Matter » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I have an R50 system that has two paging spaces
> defined (from lsps -a):
> paging00  1280MB   Percent used (7%)
> hd6        512MB   Percent used (20%)
> Question 1:  Is the order that the swap spaces
> are returned in lsps the order in which the swap
> spaces used?  or does the below swapspaces file
> determine that?

AIX likes to use an equal amount of all paging
spaces, as in this case, where it is using
about 90 to 100 MB of each space.  For this
reason, it is a good idea to make all your
paging spaces the same size.

Quote:> /etc/swapspaces is defined as follows:
> hd6:
>         dev = /dev/hd6
> paging00:
>         dev = /dev/paging00
> Question 2:  Why are both swap spaces used since
> neither of them are even close to being used
> completely on their own?

See above.

Quote:> Question 3: hd6 is on a mirrored rootvg paging00
> is on a SSA RAID filesystem.  I would like to get
> rid of hd6 and only use paging00 for performance
> reasons.  Is this advisable if the paging space
> on /dev/paging00 is large enough?

If you do not have at least 32MB of paging
space in the rootvg, AIX will refuse to boot.
So, no, getting rid of hd6 is not a good
idea.

                Chris Mattern

**** no.  You just got 'luck of the draw'

Quote:> /etc/swapspaces is defined as follows:

> hd6:
>         dev = /dev/hd6

> paging00:
>         dev = /dev/paging00

> Question 2:  Why are both swap spaces used since
> neither of them are even close to being used
> completely on their own?

*** the fact that BOTH are named in /etc/swapspaces means they
can both be used.  More, /etc/rc issues a "swapon all" which
activates all paging lv's named in /etc/swapspaces

Quote:> Question 3: hd6 is on a mirrored rootvg paging00
> is on a SSA RAID filesystem.  I would like to get
> rid of hd6

*** AIX Really like having a paging lv that is available
when in SINGLE user mode.  The ONLY page space brought
on in this mode is hd6.  Keep hd6 and keep it small.

What you MAY want to do is, chps -n paging00
and reboot the system. then paging00 will not be
activated.  You can then 'rmps' and recreate the
paging00 at a more reasonable size.

Quote:> and only use paging00 for performance

--
-------------
Norman Levin  - VM/dynAmIX inc

1. how to shrink default paging space (hd6) on AIX 3.2 ?

 Hello folks

 I have been trying to reduce my swap space on a 220 with AIX 3.2
 I created another pagin space so I can disactibe the other one and put this
 one to work but even if I said to not to active hd6 the default particion
 works, it always is used , so I can delete it

 Does somebody knows the way ? other than the lier manuals ?

 Thank you very much
 Jose Angel Vela Avila.               I.T.E.S.M    Mexico.
  Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey
  ___               _    ___  _         __
 (   >             ' )  /    //        /  )     _______________    __o
  __/________    _  (  / _  // __.    /--/         __________     -\<,
 / /  (_)  \_)__</_  \/ </_</_(_/|_  /  ( o                   ....O/ O
<_/

 Tel->(83) 582000 Ext.4073 Fax->(83) 692004  | Monterrey, NL   64849 Mexico

2. suse apsfilter epson800 printer

3. /dev/hd6 paging space

4. Can't Boot From CD

5. Hd6 paging space too big

6. 2 GB File size limit?

7. How to reduce the /dev/hd6 paging space?

8. Resource usage highs

9. mirroring of paging space (hd6)

10. getting rid of tildes (~) in manual pages

11. getting rid of welcome in AIX 4.3

12. Question on swap space and hd6