AIX V5.1L/ WLM

Post by Mario Loefle » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 06:57:30

I wrote some programs today to test WLM on an RS/6000 170 Model.
The setting was as follows:

I created to classes MY_SERVER and MY_APPS and assigned them resource
limits ( 20% min CPU for MY_APPS and 80% max CPU Soft&Hard for MY_APPS )

Then I wrote a process that just uses a lot of CPU ( an endless loop
doing some math ) and assigned the same process two the two different
classes.

Now topas showed sometimes something like that:

PrintFile  10662 14.1  0.3 MY_SERVER
PrintFile  25114 14.1  0.3 MY_APPS
PrintFile  23302 14.1  0.3 MY_APPS
PrintFile  23018 14.1  0.3 MY_APPS
PrintFile  11656 14.1  0.3 MY_APPS
PrintFile  14146 14.1  0.3 MY_APPS
PrintFile  13666 14.1  0.3 MY_APPS

Which is - in my opinion a clear violation of the wlm rules ( yes, wlm
was up and in active mode ).

On the other hand wlmstat always showed the right percentage.

Is this discrepance due to the fact that topas shows a snapshot and the
resource usage is actually computed over one second ( as described in
the wlm redbook ) ?

Looking foreward to your comments

        Mario

1. new PTFs for VisualAge C++ for AIX V5.0 and C for AIX V5.0

Hello Everyone,

Three new PTFs for VisualAge C++ for AIX V5.0 and C for AIX V5.0 are
available now on fixdist.

The three PTFs are:
APAR IY16623:  VISUALAGE C++ 5.0.0.5 COMPILER PTF
APAR IY16704:  VISUALAGE C++ 5.0.0.5 RUNTIME PTF
APAR IY16530:  C for AIX 5.0.1.2 PTF

You can go to
http://service.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/support/rs6000.support/downloads

and use the AIX Fix Distribution Service.

Regards,
Aaron Moore
VisaulAge C/C++ Service and Support
IBM Toronto Software Solutions Lab

2. Linux workstation / Server market

3. AIX 4.3.3/ AIX 5.1L

4. ParcPlace Product

5. WLM AIX 5.1 SETUP

6. tracker-3.10 (only plays in background :( )

7. AIX WLM Default Configuration

8. Job in UK - SP, AIX

9. AIX 4.3 or AIX 5L V5.1 ?

10. top/monitor for AIX 5.1L

11. AIX 5.1L, Samba and XP???

12. How to Increase Paging/Swap Space on IBM AIX 5.1L