Backing up NT server

Post by <j.. » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

 I know this is way off thread, but it was suggested to me the other day
that there would be no reason to get a tape backup with a new NT server we
are trying to order because after all we have a tape drive on our AIX
system and we can just back up to that.

 I laughed then, and still think it is a silly position to take.

 Does anyone do this in real life? and if so, what are the draw backs etc.

 If it takes a software purchase to do this than the tape drive would
probably be cheaper, I was thinking of a 12/24gb dat.

Backing up NT server

Post by Ian Brow » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> I know this is way off thread, but it was suggested to me the other day
>that there would be no reason to get a tape backup with a new NT server we
>are trying to order because after all we have a tape drive on our AIX
>system and we can just back up to that.

> I laughed then, and still think it is a silly position to take.

> Does anyone do this in real life? and if so, what are the draw backs etc.

> If it takes a software purchase to do this than the tape drive would
>probably be cheaper, I was thinking of a 12/24gb dat.

I have to agree it's a bit silly, but it is a situation I was forced
into when a tape drive went AWOL.

As a result of this, I was forced into using the same *external* tape
drive for both the RS6k and the NT server. Not recommended!

Biggest real problem was that we could not set up our backup routines
for unattended running. Somebody had to be there to swap the drive over
from one system to the other. And 'hot swapping' tape drives can be a
pain.

Spend the bucks. It's well worth it. Unless of course you consider your
data to be valueless.
--
Ian Brown

Backing up NT server

Post by Timothy J. L » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

| I know this is way off thread, but it was suggested to me the other day
|that there would be no reason to get a tape backup with a new NT server we
|are trying to order because after all we have a tape drive on our AIX
|system and we can just back up to that.
|
| I laughed then, and still think it is a silly position to take.
|
| Does anyone do this in real life? and if so, what are the draw backs etc.
|
| If it takes a software purchase to do this than the tape drive would
|probably be cheaper, I was thinking of a 12/24gb dat.

If you're just backing up data (as opposed to the entire system),
then the following might work:

Install freeware Samba on the AIX computer.  Fileshare the desired
filesystems on the Microsoft computer.  Arrange for Samba's smbclient
to copy the filesystems from the Microsoft computer to the AIX computer
(you may want to add a big, cheap disk on the AIX computer as a
staging area).  Put this smbclient job in the crontab.  Put the
regular AIX backup script that you use in the crontab after the
smbclient job (make sure that there is enough time for the smbclient
job to finish and that the regular AIX backup includes the big, cheap
disk that you added).

You may also want to consider using freeware Amanda to manage your
backups.  It has the capability of using Samba to deal with Microsoft
backups, as well as managing Unix backups on a network where only one
has a tape drive.

There are also some commercial backup programs that claim to do both
Unix and Microsoft backups.

Backing up NT server

Post by Laurenz Brei » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I know this is way off thread, but it was suggested to me the other day
> that there would be no reason to get a tape backup with a new NT server we
> are trying to order because after all we have a tape drive on our AIX
> system and we can just back up to that.

> I laughed then, and still think it is a silly position to take.

It depends on the size of the whole setup.
If you have just one AIX station and one PC box, its probably exaggerated to
look
for an intricate solution - the solution suggested in this thread (samba or
nfs) sounds
reasonable. And the easiest way would still be to buy an additional tape
drive.

However, if you have more computers in your system and you look for a backup
solution that covers different operating systems in an organized way, it would
be
reasonable to use backup software.

Ive made good experiences with ADSM for such cases (and I dont say this only

because I happen to work for IBM :^)

Yours,
Laurenz Brein

Backing up NT server

Post by kolli » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Use ADSM. it comes with client software.
I have several customers who use an IBM 3466 backup server and they
installed Windows NT client versions of ADSM on their 95,98 and NT machines.
It works fine but be carefull NT doesn't allow files to be backed-up with
filenames longer than 256 characters (including hostnames, that is).

Quote:

> I know this is way off thread, but it was suggested to me the other day
>that there would be no reason to get a tape backup with a new NT server we
>are trying to order because after all we have a tape drive on our AIX
>system and we can just back up to that.

> I laughed then, and still think it is a silly position to take.

> Does anyone do this in real life? and if so, what are the draw backs etc.

> If it takes a software purchase to do this than the tape drive would
>probably be cheaper, I was thinking of a 12/24gb dat.

Backing up NT server

Post by Andy » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Don't worry - it's a good suggestion.

We use a product caled Netvault which is an X-front end product running on
AIX that supports AIX and NT clients. Just place the clients on either AIX
or NT and choose which filesystems or directories to back up - Netvault
doesn't really mind whether their NT or AIX. We happen to use an AIX server
as the DLT backup server.

The product came from the AT&T labs - but is now sold in the UK (that's all
I know) by a company called Willow - you may want to do some searching on
the web.

The good thing about this software is that it's versionable - so you can
keep multiple versions of a document in backup. We use two 7xDLT stacks and
we get a good backup rate from both NT and AIX so it's not that crazy an
idea to mix both systems.

Andy

Quote:

> I know this is way off thread, but it was suggested to me the other day
>that there would be no reason to get a tape backup with a new NT server we
>are trying to order because after all we have a tape drive on our AIX
>system and we can just back up to that.

> I laughed then, and still think it is a silly position to take.

> Does anyone do this in real life? and if so, what are the draw backs etc.

> If it takes a software purchase to do this than the tape drive would
>probably be cheaper, I was thinking of a 12/24gb dat.

1. APC USB ups, Back-UPS ES series, 2.5.68

(Please cc: me on reply)

I'm wanting to get this new toy up and running.  I've installed apcupsd,
but it doesn't want to work well with my kernel (2.5.68) or somewhat.

When apcupsd tries to open the hiddev, open() gets an ENODEV.  Is
apcupsd doing something wrong or is 2.5.68 doing something wrong?

~# dmesg
hub 1-0:0: debounce: port 1: delay 100ms stable 4 status 0x301
hub 1-0:0: new USB device on port 1, assigned address 4
usb 1-1: new device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
usb 1-1: Product: Back-UPS ES 350 FW:800.e3.D USB FW:e3
usb 1-1: Manufacturer: APC
usb 1-1: SerialNumber: AB0238241677
usb 1-1: usb_new_device - registering interface 1-1:0
hid 1-1:0: usb_device_probe
hid 1-1:0: usb_device_probe - got id
drivers/usb/core/file.c: asking for 1 minors, starting at 96
drivers/usb/core/file.c: found a minor chunk free, starting at 96
hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [APC Back-UPS ES 350 FW:800.e3.D USB
FW:e3] on usb-00:07.2-1

~# ls -l /dev/usb/hid
total 0
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     180, 192 Dec 31  1969 hiddev96
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     180, 193 Dec 31  1969 hiddev97

~# strace -f apcupsd (trimmed)
[...]
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev95", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev96", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENODEV (No such device)
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev97", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENODEV (No such device)
open("/dev/usb/hid/hiddev98", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
write(2, "Couldn\'t find UPS device or no p"..., 43Couldn't find UPS
device or no permission.
) = 43
_exit(1)                                = ?

ref: http://www.sibbald.com/apcupsd/manual/usb.html
apcupsd version: 3.10.5
Linux kernel: 2.5.68

David
p.s. apcupsd needs patched to handle hiddev from 96 on (minor allocated by kernel)

-

2. Calling pci_find_device from user space ?

3. UPS Woes (APC Back-UPS Pro)

4. system info

5. APC Back-UPS 400, updated howto for UPS?

6. 2100 internal dsl modem (intel)

7. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

8. Help! BASH Programming

9. Why I switched back to NT, and then back to Linux again

10. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

11. Backing up Unix Server to NT

12. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server

13. Tape drive for back-ups, RH 5.1