Question Re. X Authorization At System Boot

Question Re. X Authorization At System Boot

Post by Robert Davi » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Am running AIX 4.1.5 on an old IBM 250 and am attempting to set it up to
function much like a X device.  Have added the following entries to
inittab to start X and motif on system boot;

X:2:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X -n :0 -T -force
motif:2:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/mwm -display unix:0

Since no user actually logs on to the 250, am having difficulty bringing
up an X display on the box due to the lack of authorization for the
remote system to generate an X display on the 250.  Attempted to use
/etc/X0.hosts to set authorization, but appears to fail due to no
DISPLAY variable being set.  If I log on to the 250 manually, set the
DISPLAY variable, then run "xhost +", the X application starts up
without a problem.  Have not be able to determine a way to set the
authorization automatically at boot time.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd
appreciate the help.  Thanks

Post by Dan Harkles » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

 >Am running AIX 4.1.5 on an old IBM 250 and am attempting to set it up to
 >function much like a X device.  Have added the following entries to
 >inittab to start X and motif on system boot;
 >
 >X:2:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X -n :0 -T -force
 >motif:2:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/mwm -display unix:0
 >
 >Since no user actually logs on to the 250, am having difficulty bringing
 >up an X display on the box due to the lack of authorization for the
 >remote system to generate an X display on the 250.  Attempted to use
 >/etc/X0.hosts to set authorization, but appears to fail due to no
 >DISPLAY variable being set.  If I log on to the 250 manually, set the
 >DISPLAY variable, then run "xhost +", the X application starts up
 >without a problem.  Have not be able to determine a way to set the
 >authorization automatically at boot time.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd
 >appreciate the help.  Thanks

Did you try setting DISPLAY in /etc/environment?

Dan Harkless           | NOTE: Due to SPAM I have implemented a caller-ID-

Unitech Research, Inc. | your Subject to bypass or finger me for more info.

1. RedHat 5.2, "/boot/System.map" and "/boot/System.map"

Hello,

Would someone know how to configure  modules with the
"/boot/System.map"  and  "/boot/System.map" files in RedHat 5.2?
I can't seem to find any references on the RedHat site to these files.
In 5.1 all you had to do was rename your kernel with a name like
"vmlinuz-2.0.35.x" and an accompanying modules directory called
"/lib/modules/2.0.35.x" and the modules were loaded properly.  It took
me awhile to figure that one out...and RedHat goes and changes the rules
again ;-\

Thanks, Luc.

2. GCC upgrade 2.6.3aout -> 2.7.2elf

3. Seeking global authorization system (Summary)

4. Question about Dell CPUs

5. A dumb question about X authorization

6. "ls" and the modification date

7. Question on NCSA httpd's authorization

8. Creatings processes with different ruid & euid

9. Question re: Authorization Headers

10. Apache Authorization question

11. NES server authorization question/ACL (please, help)

12. possibly dumb question: booting a system with << all main memory

13. /boot/System.map and CDparanoia questions