Two FTP Servers On One AIX Machine

Post by ahme » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I am planning on installing WU-FTP alongside the existing/default FTP
server.

Does anyone out there:
1. Know if there will be a conflict.  And if so how to avoid.
2. Have any tips for doing this or know of any good info sources (I've
already seen the wu-ftpd.org and associated pages without any luck).

I have looked at the existing WU-FTP install instructions/scripts.  A
difficulty with these is they require alteration of the /etc/inetd.conf
file to make it point to the new ftpd at the expense of the existing
ftpd.  How would I get around this?
I plan to make the existing FTP server the default.

TIA,
Ahmed.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Alberto Varesi » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am planning on installing WU-FTP alongside the existing/default FTP
> server.

> Does anyone out there:
> 1. Know if there will be a conflict.  And if so how to avoid.
> 2. Have any tips for doing this or know of any good info sources (I've
> already seen the wu-ftpd.org and associated pages without any luck).

> I have looked at the existing WU-FTP install instructions/scripts.  A
> difficulty with these is they require alteration of the /etc/inetd.conf
> file to make it point to the new ftpd at the expense of the existing
> ftpd.  How would I get around this?
> I plan to make the existing FTP server the default.

> TIA,
> Ahmed.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. There will be a conflict on the IP ports used to communicate to the server:
usually ftp uses ports 20 and 21, you should be able to change WU-FTP to use
other ports ( say 2020,2121 ), but client programs must be aware of this. They
will not use the new ports by default, they have to be configured, if they can.

If you change port assignments, you will be able to instruct inetd to listen to
the new port and have WU-FTP started if someone connects.
If the server will be public, you must share your port assignments to the public
some way.

--
 Alberto Varesio - AIX Support Professional           Phone: +39-011-41581-11

 10195 Grugliasco (TO) ITALY                http://www.linuxfan.com/~avaresio
 Attachment smime.p7s is a digital signature, skip it if mailer can't use it.

Two FTP Servers On One AIX Machine

Post by Sean » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

There will be a conflict if you do not create a second network interface
(either physical or logical).  I haven't had any luck setting up multiple
applications to listen on the same port (port 21 for ftp).  A quick though
would lead you to ask if a request comes in on port 21, which ftp daemon
will process it?  However, I believe with multiple interfaces in AIX you can
bind wu-ftpd to an interface.  I don't know if you can do this with the
stock ftp server though...you may have to use wu-ftpd on both interfaces.

You might want to try using proftpd (www.proftpd.org), it's got a lot of
nice features for handling virtual servers.

Quote:> Hello,

> I am planning on installing WU-FTP alongside the existing/default FTP
> server.

> Does anyone out there:
> 1. Know if there will be a conflict.  And if so how to avoid.
> 2. Have any tips for doing this or know of any good info sources (I've
> already seen the wu-ftpd.org and associated pages without any luck).

> I have looked at the existing WU-FTP install instructions/scripts.  A
> difficulty with these is they require alteration of the /etc/inetd.conf
> file to make it point to the new ftpd at the expense of the existing
> ftpd.  How would I get around this?
> I plan to make the existing FTP server the default.

> TIA,
> Ahmed.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Two servers - one machine

I am attempting to set up two server on one machine.

[1] A netscape fasttrack server as an Intranet and
[2] An apache 1.3.6 as a www server.

The former [1], is up and running, ineted and bind to port 80 (default)
in /etc/services as httpd.
The DNS name on the machine is say abc.defg.org

The second system I have attempted to ineted also, with an entry into
the /etc/services file as httpd and port 82
On attempting to start the server with the apachetl script I obtain the
following output:

455# apachectl start
apachectl start: httpd could not be started

On checking the error_log the following is inserted:
getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket
getsockname: Socket operation on non-socket
Error getting local address

My httpd.conf file has the following Global Environment variables etc.
set:
Listen 12.34.56.78:82
ServerName abc.defg.org        #which is the domain name and is probably
causing the conflict as it is already in use by [1]
                                                # I thing I tried
abc.defg.org:82 to no avail

Any suggestions welcomed, thanks

-Joe-

PS: The /etc/services entries are -
http            80/tcp                          #  Netscape Fasttrack
(intranet) protocol
httpd           82/tcp                          # Apache World-Wide-Web
protocol

2. WWW Java Netscape

3. two servers on one machine

4. EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,77)) in ext3_new_inode: error 28

5. two ip addresses / two gateways / one machine?

6. sound.o and soundcore.o, 2.0.x kernel, sblive value

7. two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

8. Request: Xconfig clocks for Ati Ultra Plus (not Pro)

9. One Process on the machine having two IP address and two ethernet interface.

10. DHCP Client and Server, two nics, one Linux machine-->configuration problem

11. Two Mail Servers, One Machine

12. Two WWW server on one machine

13. Two FTP servers in on one system ?