Stopping things being logged to error log

Stopping things being logged to error log

Post by Daniel William » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

Is there anyway to stop things beinging logged to the
error log????

A AIX server of ours is used for dial in PPP quite a bit,
and every PPP disconnect gets put to the errorlogs,
which is getting to be a pain.

TIA
Daniel
Daniel Williams                 Manufact Data Systems
http://www.manufact.co.nz       Christchurch

Phone: +64-3-366-6803           Fax: +64-3-366-6809

Stopping things being logged to error log

Post by T.. » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway

Quote:

>Is there anyway to stop things beinging logged to the
>error log????

>A AIX server of ours is used for dial in PPP quite a bit,
>and every PPP disconnect gets put to the errorlogs,
>which is getting to be a pain.

man errupdate.  set log to false.  Here is a sample input file
= e18e984f:
        Report = TRUE
        Log = FALSE
        Alert = FALSE

Trog Woolley
(A Croweater languishing in Pommie Land)

Stopping things being logged to error log

Post by Jim J. Shaff » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Do you mean you're getting errors logged to the system error log, the ones
you see with errpt?  Usually such errors deserve looking into.

If, however, you don't want to see them I'd recommend turning off error
reporting for those errors.  They'll still be logged, but you won't see
them when you run errpt.

For example, to set the TTY_RRBDISABL error to not show up in an
error report you'd use an errupdate input file that has a stanza in it like:

= 00093F2C:
        Report = FALSE

Where 00093F2C is the error id for the TTY_RRBDISABL error.

Since the error is still going into the error log, error notification
will still occur for that error if there is any defined.

Also, if you decide to change the error templates you should keep the
errupdate input file you use and run it after updating your system.
Updates can cause error templates to be replaced, and hence your changes
would be overwritten.

Quote:

--
Jim Shaffer
BellNet:        (512)989-5537

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.