installed a new paging space... or so I thought...

installed a new paging space... or so I thought...

Post by Doug Barto » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi folks,

I just used smitty to install a new paging space on one of our AIX 4.3.1 43P
machines...

however, it seems that smit did not correctly set up the "device configuration
database" entry for the paging space (which I selected type "logical volume"
for).

now I have a 256Meg chunk of my disk which I can neither deallocate nor use as
paging space...  is there any workaround for this???

here's the (abbreviated output) from List all logical volumes by VG:
rootvg:
LV NAME             TYPE       LPs   PPs   PVs  LV STATE      MOUNT POINT
hd6                 paging     144   144   1    open/syncd    N/A
paging00            ???        32    32    1    open/syncd    N/A

can anyone help?

cheers,

Douglas Barton, Software Engineer, DASCOM Australia (Pty. Ltd.)

99 CBR900RR FireBlade * VT250 Spada * HRCA #2912 * Live to Ride

Post by certified computer guy.. » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Hi folks,

>I just used smitty to install a new paging space on one of our AIX 4.3.1
43P
>machines...

>here's the (abbreviated output) from List all logical volumes by VG:
>rootvg:
>LV NAME             TYPE       LPs   PPs   PVs  LV STATE      MOUNT POINT
>hd6                 paging     144   144   1    open/syncd    N/A
>paging00            ???        32    32    1    open/syncd    N/A

>can anyone help?

>cheers,

Well, something is using the logical volume paging00, otherwise it wouldn't
be "open".   Trying running the command "synclvodm -Pv [vgname]" for
whatever volume group paging00 is in (I would assume rootvg, but not sure
from your concatinated output).  This should syncronize the VGDA and the ODM
definition.  Also, trying running "lsps -a", this should show all your
paging spaces and thier states, e.g. active or inactive.   If it is active,
then synclvodm should fix the problem.  If this does not fix the problem,
then you may have to use the LVM intermidiate (to read, not user supported)
command "putlvodm" to fix the problem.  I suspect it's either ODM or LVCB
corruption, usually fairly easy to correct in this type of situation.

Note that when you use the smit fastpath "smit mkps", you will jump to the
panels for adding a paging space, and all you need do is select the volume
group, size, physical volume, and whether you want it to be active at boot
or not.   You should never have to specify a type, as the default is
"paging".

installed a new paging space... or so I thought...

Post by Peter Bennet » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

It might be a good idea just to remove that logical volume
(rmlv paging00)
and start again.  'lsps -a' would show you though if this has actually
become an active page space, if it has, don't worry about it and just
use it.  It is possible though that it has been marked as a page space
but is inactive.  I'll get to that in a moment.

The command to create a new page space is 'mkps'
mkps -a -n -s 32 rootvg hdisk1
would create a new page space of 32 partitions on hdisk1 in the root
volume group.  You could then check it with 'lsps -a'
The -a means active it at next reboot, the -n is NOW, the rest is
self-explanatory....
If the page space is not active (third last field in the output)
you should turn it on with the swapon command, 'swapon /dev/paging00'
Pete Bennett.