Free PP's?

Post by Frederick Reynold » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I am fairly green in AIX administration and have been looking at our disk
utilization.  From what I've read, I think Free PP's on a physical disk are
not allocated to any volume groups and are effectively just sitting unused
if there are any for possible future use in expanding a volume group.

But I was told by someone else that has a little more experience then me
(but still fairly green) that free PP's are not used but they are actually
already allocated.  So are free PP's kind of like the free space on a
formatted DOS partition, allocated but not currently in use?  This doesn't
seem like what AIX does with PP's from what I've read, but I could have read
it wrong.

Thanks for any clarification!

---
Frederick Reynolds

1. Should I keep free PP's in a volume group?

I have a volume group OTHER than rootvg which is only used to store
data.  Since it is so difficult to reduce the number of LP's allocated
to a logical volume, I have tried to keep some space free in the volume
group just in case it was needed.

We are now at the point where ideally it would be nice to use all the
space available. My question is:

Do I need to keep any free PP's in my volume group or can I allocate
them all to logical volumes without worrying about needing them later on
for something vital?

Thanks

Chris Eason

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. OT: Sonny dumps MS Office in Europe.

3. Free as in 'Freedom' not 'Free Beer'

4. How to log icmp and DOS attack?

5. re : Can't add disk to vg - exceeded max pp's

6. Gnome and window manager

7. Adding PP's or LP's

8. Password Aging and Shadow File

9. How to tell if PP's are sync'd after Filesystem splitcopy

10. Can't add disk to vg - exceeded max pp's

11. memeory freed by free() not reflected in 'ps'

12. Adding 9G Disk on 4MB PP'd System

13. Changing rootvg's PP size