Printing to JetDirect printer

Post by Jeff Mullike » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 02:16:14

Hey folks,

    I am very new to AIX, and am having a problem getting printing setup.  I
hope one of you will be kind enough to help me out.

    On the network, I have an HP 8150 printer at X.X.X.16.  It requires some
software that runs on a Windoze machine,
which I believe is the JetDirect Software.  If one browses the 'Network
Neighborhood' from a Windoze machine, you will
see this machine 'under' the file server where the software runs.

    Now, I can print to this printer from Linux, by setting it up as a
'JetDirect Printer', and the pointer looks like;

            socket://X.X.X.16:9100

    I tried entering that into the AIX print wizard setup, and it doesn't
like it.  I tried just supplying the IP address, and it can't find
it.  I tried supplying the name of the printer that the Windows machines use
to get to it, and it can't find that 'server'.

    Does anyone know what I can do to get this printer to work from AIX 5L?
(5.1 I think).

    Thanks in advance...     Jeff.

Printing to JetDirect printer

Post by AndrĂ© Blanchar » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 06:33:01

Hi,

Try adding you printer to the /etc/hosts before defining the printer.

Also you need to have printers.hpJetDirect.attach fileset install on
your machine.  Use the command lslpp -l printers.hpJetDirect.attach to
check if it's install.

Andr

First you have to define, if you don't have a dhcp server, you
On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:16:14 -0800, "Jeff Mulliken"

Post by Ben Kame » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 09:12:10

> Hey folks,

>     I am very new to AIX, and am having a problem getting printing setup.  I
> hope one of you will be kind enough to help me out.

>     On the network, I have an HP 8150 printer at X.X.X.16.  It requires some
> software that runs on a Windoze machine,
> which I believe is the JetDirect Software.  If one browses the 'Network
> Neighborhood' from a Windoze machine, you will
> see this machine 'under' the file server where the software runs.

>     Now, I can print to this printer from Linux, by setting it up as a
> 'JetDirect Printer', and the pointer looks like;

>             socket://X.X.X.16:9100

>     I tried entering that into the AIX print wizard setup, and it doesn't
> like it.  I tried just supplying the IP address, and it can't find
> it.  I tried supplying the name of the printer that the Windows machines use
> to get to it, and it can't find that 'server'.

>     Does anyone know what I can do to get this printer to work from AIX 5L?
> (5.1 I think).

Should be pretty easy...

  make sure you have the hpJetDirect drivers installed... when you run smit ->
printers and add, you should have an option for Jetdirect. (or add a printer and
you can select if it's remote, xremote or jetdirect...etc..)

if you don't see the JetDirect option anywhere, install the drivers for them..
they usually don't get installed by default. AIX does have something though.

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - Fixer of Broken Things
Email: bkamen AT benjammin DOT net       Web: http://www.benjammin.net

Post by William Peckha » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:02:36

> > Hey folks,

> >     I am very new to AIX, and am having a problem getting printing
setup.  I
> > hope one of you will be kind enough to help me out.

> >     On the network, I have an HP 8150 printer at X.X.X.16.  It requires
some
> > software that runs on a Windoze machine,
> > which I believe is the JetDirect Software.  If one browses the 'Network
> > Neighborhood' from a Windoze machine, you will
> > see this machine 'under' the file server where the software runs.

> >     Now, I can print to this printer from Linux, by setting it up as a
> > 'JetDirect Printer', and the pointer looks like;

> >             socket://X.X.X.16:9100

> >     I tried entering that into the AIX print wizard setup, and it
doesn't
> > like it.  I tried just supplying the IP address, and it can't find
> > it.  I tried supplying the name of the printer that the Windows machines
use
> > to get to it, and it can't find that 'server'.

> >     Does anyone know what I can do to get this printer to work from AIX
5L?
> > (5.1 I think).

> Should be pretty easy...

>   make sure you have the hpJetDirect drivers installed... when you run
smit ->
> printers and add, you should have an option for Jetdirect. (or add a
printer and
> you can select if it's remote, xremote or jetdirect...etc..)

> if you don't see the JetDirect option anywhere, install the drivers for
them..
> they usually don't get installed by default. AIX does have something
though.

>   -Ben

> --
> Ben Kamen - Fixer of Broken Things
> Email: bkamen AT benjammin DOT net       Web: http://www.benjammin.net

All of my jetdirect cards are set to serve as LPD servers.  This opens that
standard printing port, and I use that rather than 9100.  I only use the
Jetdirect application on a windows machine to configure the Jetdirect.  I
never use the jetdirect drivers.  This improves my printer reliability
greatly.

---