Mastering CD for installing on AIX

Post by David Ry » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have a Windows 95 PC on our network with an

Adaptec 2940 SCSI controler
and a
TEAC CD-R55S

With Adaptecs easy CD Creator software.

This writes 2 formats of CD ISO9660 {described as 8.3 filenames only

and JOLIET format which includes long names as well as 8.3 type names.

It reads AIX install CD fine including the long names
but when I try and create myself one the IBM only sees the 8.3 names.

I would like to cut our software package to CD rather than tape as most
of the machines we are installing have CD drives and it faster.

Any sugestions welcome.

--
J. David Rye
http://www.roadrunner.uk.com

Post by James Carlso » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> This writes 2 formats of CD ISO9660 {described as 8.3 filenames only

> and JOLIET format which includes long names as well as 8.3 type names.

Joliet is yet another Windoze proprietary format.  It's not well
supported by anything else.

The standard interchange formats, basic ISO-9660 and RockRidge, are
supported by AIX.

Quote:> It reads AIX install CD fine including the long names
> but when I try and create myself one the IBM only sees the 8.3
> names.

There are lots of other CD writers that know how to create standard
RockRidge extensions.  Just upgrade to one ...

--

IronBridge Networks / 55 Hayden Avenue  71.246W    Vox:  +1 781 372 8132
Lexington MA  02421-7996 / USA          42.423N    Fax:  +1 781 372 8090

Mastering CD for installing on AIX

Post by Scott Hardi » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

You'll need to write the CD in 'Rock Ridge Group Protocol'. FYI, the
product packages should be stored in /usr/sys/inst.images in
backup-format and you'll need to generate a .toc file.

For more info, see "AIX Version 4.3 General Programming Concepts:
Writing and Debugging Programs" in Chapter 20, Packaging Software for
Installation.

BTW, if you're also packaging your own software for distribution, I
wrote a script that will help you generate the backup-format files used
by installp.

Scott Hardin