removing to processor on a rs6000

Post by jsk » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:36:39

Hi
I have to take off 2 processors on for on my ibm rs6000
Is there something special I have to do before or after doing it
thx

removing to processor on a rs6000

Post by Rodney Clar » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 01:04:37

Have seen this go wrong at times.
So bad that the system refused to boot and all that
Removing the battery and going for a walk with it helped.
System was a H50
Quote:> Hi
> I have to take off 2 processors on for on my ibm rs6000 Is there
> something special I have to do before or after doing it thx

removing to processor on a rs6000

Post by jsk » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 03:04:13

I guess that I wasn't clear enough.
My question was do I have to do a specific thing before or after  removing 2
processors on 4 on my machine

> Have seen this go wrong at times.
> So bad that the system refused to boot and all that
> Removing the battery and going for a walk with it helped.
> System was a H50

> > Hi
> > I have to take off 2 processors on for on my ibm rs6000 Is there
> > something special I have to do before or after doing it thx

removing to processor on a rs6000

Post by Ronny Petterse » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 02:11:51

Never done this but...
As with other devices; shutdown, remove the procs, poweron and boot.
Run "diag -a" when you get back up again.(It would say so during boot
as well)
Once in diag, it should say 2 devices have been removed, accept the
changes.

-Ronny

>I guess that I wasn't clear enough.
>My question was do I have to do a specific thing before or after  removing 2
>processors on 4 on my machine

1. RS6000 TESTING 2nd Processor

This client has a 2 processor machine and he claims the 2nd processor
is not working as the work load is not getting kicked into the next
processor and it is giving him errors. I beg to differ. The only error
is the following types: ( I also checked lsdev and all processors are
available) Can anyone be kind enough to assist me with this.
thanks
Ali

LABEL:          CORE_DUMP
IDENTIFIER:     C60BB505

Date/Time:       Fri Aug 13 11:45:01
Sequence Number: 924
Machine Id:      000258984C00
Node Id:         aix
Class:           S
Type:            PERM
Resource Name:   SYSPROC

Description
SOFTWARE PROGRAM ABNORMALLY TERMINATED

Probable Causes
SOFTWARE PROGRAM

User Causes
USER GENERATED SIGNAL

        Recommended Actions
        CORRECT THEN RETRY

Failure Causes
SOFTWARE PROGRAM

        Recommended Actions
        RERUN THE APPLICATION PROGRAM
        IF PROBLEM PERSISTS THEN DO THE FOLLOWING
        CONTACT APPROPRIATE SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE

Detail Data
SIGNAL NUMBER
          11
USER'S PROCESS ID:
      198190
FILE SYSTEM SERIAL NUMBER
          14
INODE NUMBER
      161796
PROGRAM NAME
ksh
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
waitpid 6C
??
job_wait 160
xec_switc 954
sh_exec 2FC
exfile 63C
main 514
.__start 50

Symptom Data
REPORTABLE
1
INTERNAL ERROR
1
SYMPTOM CODE
PIDS/576565500 LVLS/420 PCSS/SPI2 FLDS/ksh SIG/11 FLDS/waitpid VALU/6c
FLDS/job_
wait

2. Reduced features in linux.

3. name of RS6000 processor?

4. New version of `How to Print'

5. Removing cover from 7011-250 RS6000

6. serial question

7. Removing Processors

8. How to setup Redhat 6.0 semaphore kernel variable for INFORMIX?

9. IBM RS6000 43P-100 , looking to buy a used RS6000 machine

10. Copying from one RS6000 (59H) to another RS6000 (H70)

11. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

12. RS6000 to RS6000 ppp or slip - won't dial with modem

13. HELP ME!!!...Wanna use Linux on RS6000 I have...but know nothing about RS6000'...!!!