problem: Login after AIX 5L install: login prompt reappears after entering user name

problem: Login after AIX 5L install: login prompt reappears after entering user name

Post by lis » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 23:14:44

Hi,

I installed AIX 5.1 on an rs6000 b50 (new install, default packages)
 using a WinNT PC terminal emulation (HyperTerm, VT100).

After a successful install I receive the console login screen.
I can enter root (or any other name) but it does not log me in and
does not
prompt for a password.
Instead it keeps returning to the login prompt without any error
message or password
prompt etc.

When I access the system in maintenance mode everything looks ok, i.e.
root is allowed to login via all ttys,
root account is _not_ expired, locked etc.
the number of logins (or licenses) is set to 100

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

TIA
L.

problem: Login after AIX 5L install: login prompt reappears after entering user name

Post by Lee Dilwort » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 23:44:04

I've had this before and it was caused by the cable I was using. It was
supposed to be a null-modem cable (allegedly) but it wasnt, got correct
cable from a local supplier and it fixed problem.

also check the settings for hypertem, I had emulation set to "auto detect"
initially, quickly changed this to VT100, then in the "Configure" screen
set:

Data Bits = 8
Parity = None
Stop Bits = 1
Flow Control = None.

But cable was main culprit for me.

Post by Norman Levi » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 03:31:41

>> Hi,

>> I installed AIX 5.1 on an rs6000 b50 (new install, default packages)
>>  using a WinNT PC terminal emulation (HyperTerm, VT100).

>> After a successful install I receive the console login screen.
>> I can enter root (or any other name) but it does not log me in and
>> does not
>> prompt for a password.
>> Instead it keeps returning to the login prompt without any error
>> message or password
>> prompt etc.

>> When I access the system in maintenance mode everything looks ok,
>> i.e. root is allowed to login via all ttys,
>> root account is _not_ expired, locked etc.
>> the number of logins (or licenses) is set to 100

>> Any ideas how to fix this problem?

>> TIA

Yes, get a good serial cable.  Get a 'serial printer' cable made by
Belden at radio shack.  May cost you $12.  Let us know how hit works out.
Norm Levin

Quote:>> L.

problem: Login after AIX 5L install: login prompt reappears after entering user name

Post by lis » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:44:45

Thank you Norman and Lee!
    The problem was caused by the cable.
I had to try several cables before I encountered a working one.

Some additional piece of information:
I thought I just connect via network, but with the wrong cable
the ethernet doesn't work either. I received error messages like:
  Cannot find device.
  if_en: ns_alloc(en0) failed with errno = 19
and similar.

Have a nice day!
Bye,
L.

> >> Hi,

> >> I installed AIX 5.1 on an rs6000 b50 (new install, default packages)
> >>  using a WinNT PC terminal emulation (HyperTerm, VT100).

> >> After a successful install I receive the console login screen.
> >> I can enter root (or any other name) but it does not log me in and
> >> does not
> >> prompt for a password.
> >> Instead it keeps returning to the login prompt without any error
> >> message or password
> >> prompt etc.

> >> When I access the system in maintenance mode everything looks ok,
> >> i.e. root is allowed to login via all ttys,
> >> root account is _not_ expired, locked etc.
> >> the number of logins (or licenses) is set to 100

> >> Any ideas how to fix this problem?

> >> TIA

> Yes, get a good serial cable.  Get a 'serial printer' cable made by
> Belden at radio shack.  May cost you $12.  Let us know how hit works out.
> Norm Levin
> >> L.

1. After entering login name, prompt returns to login

Hello,

Can anyone advise me on why the prompt at login should
return me back to the login prompt after entering  a
username with no request for password? I have just installed
Linux RedHat 6.0 from CDROM and the installation went
without any apparent problems.

There is a bit more background to this tale. Prior to
installation I had to recover a hard drive that had only
Linux installed (no DOS partition) but which had a corrupted
partition table. A DOS version of FDISK /mbr had been
executed from a DOS prompt on a purely linux partitioned
disk and this more or less finished it off. I managed to get
the HD back to a functional state using Disk Druid and this
time I added a 460MB DOS partition along with the Linux
native and Linux swap  partitions.  Until then FDISK and
FIPS would not work with it. I managed to get Disk Druid
running by creating an image disk from a LINUX CD after
running a DOS boot disk with CDROM drivers included.

Anyway, after installing Linux and booting up I get to the
login prompt, at which point any name entered (inc. root)
has the effect of returning me to the login prompt after a
very brief error message is returned to the screen. There is
no password prompt and after a few attempts the security
features force a reboot. Could the earlier problems with he
HD be related, I would have thought not but I included the
details just in case? I seem to recall reading an email
about this problem ages so perhaps it is not uncommon.
Unfortunately I do not remember what the solution was. At
the moment I have decided to reinstall but I fear I will see
this problem again.

Any ideas...?

--
Best Regards
Kevin

2. SLIP CONFIG ON i386 SVR4

3. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

4. problem with sound and kernel

5. How can I change text login in prompt to GUI login prompt

6. Socket "name" question

7. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

8. truncating a file

9. getting users login name after login from server

10. No login prompt after AIX 4.3 install ?!

11. SCOLOGIN locks up after login name and password entered

12. New Login Prompt after Login Attempt HELP!!!

13. Modifying system login banner/login prompt