rdump, rrestore

Post by Robert Patt-Corn » Wed, 08 Jul 1992 00:29:30

Quote:

> My workaround was to manually position the tape on the RS/6000 using
> the tctl command (e.g. tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 fsf 3), and then invoke
> rrestore on the Sun.

Can rdump and rrestore be used to effectively back up a system image of
an AIX machine and restore it in the event of disaster?  I'd imagine that
one would have to boot from diskette and then issue rrestore if possible.

Is an rdump tape itself bootable?

The goal is to avoid having one tape drive per machine.  Is there a better
way?

rdump, rrestore

Post by Rick Cochr » Sat, 11 Jul 1992 01:23:17

|> Can rdump and rrestore be used to effectively back up a system image of
|> an AIX machine and restore it in the event of disaster?  I'd imagine that
|> one would have to boot from diskette and then issue rrestore if possible.
|>
|> Is an rdump tape itself bootable?
|>
|> The goal is to avoid having one tape drive per machine.  Is there a better
|> way?

One strategy is to set up one RS6000 as an install server, backup / and /usr
on that machine with mksysb (creates bootable tape), and backup everything
else with backup or rdump.  You also need to create the floppy boot disks.

In a disaster, you can restore the install server's OS from the mksysb tape,
restore the rest of the install server's filesystems from a 'backup' tape, boot
the other RS6000's from the floppy's, restore their OS's from the install
server, and restore the rest of their filesystems from rdump tapes.

--

|E20 Clark Hall, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853          cornell!msc.cornell.edu!rick|

rdump, rrestore

Post by Paul Jaco » Sun, 12 Jul 1992 09:03:34

|> One strategy is to set up one RS6000 as an install server, backup / and /usr
|> on that machine with mksysb (creates bootable tape), and backup everything
|> else with backup or rdump.  You also need to create the floppy boot disks.
|>
|> In a disaster, you can restore the install server's OS from the mksysb tape,
|> restore the rest of the install server's filesystems from a 'backup' tape, boot
|> the other RS6000's from the floppy's, restore their OS's from the install
|> server, and restore the rest of their filesystems from rdump tapes.

What do I lose by setting up one of my rs6000's as an install server?
ie.  Could a user's machine be an install server as well?

Paul

Please forgive me if this is an obtuse question or easily answered
by my own self.

1. rdump/rrestore on SVR3?

Hi,

I am looking for a version of rdump/rrestore for an AT&T 6386/33 computer
running SVR3.2.2 and the Win-TCP software.  Is it available somewhere?  I need
it to make backups of the 386 disks on a 8mm tape hooked up to a Sun computer.

I know I could use cpio/tar for this but I like dump/restore much more
(especially because of the interactive mode of restore).

Please reply directly; I will summarize if there is enough interest.

Denis
--

=== Dir. R&D           ==============================
=== Sisca Informatique === I speak for myself...  ===

2. Strange problem with modprobe

3. rdump/rrestore problem

4. X86 2.5.1: Problem in setting up PPP

5. Looking for rdump/rrestore source code

6. FTP: 551 Error on input file

7. Source for dump/restore/rdump/rrestore?

8. pkgadd/pkgask

9. rdump/rrestore

10. BSD dump,rdump,rrestore for Solaris 2.3 wanted

11. problems w/ rdump/rrestore

12. rdump / rrestore ??

13. rdump/rrestore to Sun Exabyte?