1. Awful NFS client perf. w/AIX NFS server
I am having severe performance problems using linux as a nfs
client with an AIX nfs server. The configuration is briefly described,
then the performance stats, and then a couple of questions.
Machine OS Version NFS
------- --- ------- ------
A1 AIX 3.2.51 Server
A2 AIX 3.2.51 Client
L1 Linux 1.3.64 Client
Mount output for nfs partition for each machine
A1: /dev/fslv01 /home jfs Feb 06 01:28 rw,log=/dev/loglv02
A2: A1 /home /home nfs Mar 19 13:50 rw,hard,bg,intr
L1: A1:/home on /home type nfs (rw,hard,intr,addr=XX.XX.XX.XX)
where xx.xx.xx.xx is the correct local address of the server.
It is not a network bandwidth problem, as ftp and other
networking apps on the linux box are at full speed - only nfs is
bottle-necked. And A2 and L1 machines are both on the same ethernet
subnet as A1, so the network cabling/routing to the server is not a
The following gives the performance of creating a 1MB
file (using dd) on the /home file partition from the A2 and L1 nfs
clients (using a much larger file as the input file to dd). As you
can see, it does much worse for the Linux client L1! I would be happy
if the linux nfs client could do as well as the AIX nfs client A2...
Command: time dd if=/home/LargeFile of=/home/tstMM count=2k
where MM is the machine name
A1: 1.33 seconds (local file system, so no nfs overhead)
A2: 11.98 seconds (nfs client of A1)
L1: 157.94 seconds (nfs client of A1)
1. Any idea of nfs client parameters we can tweak on the linux box L1
to get acceptable performance?
2. When the L1 is nfs writing to A1:/home, you can actually hear the
hard disk sort of thrashing on A1 - maybe L1 is writing one byte at a
time? How can I check?
3. If it is the AIX version of nfs that is screwy (optimized to work well only for other nfs machines), can we tweak the linux nfs version to act like an aix nfs client? (the linux box is only nfs mounting the aix box).
4. Maybe this can be fixed by manipulating the datagram wsize and
rsize parameters of mount (pg. 172, NAG) - if so, does anyone know
what size they should be for working with AIX NFS servers?
Brad L. Miller
2. IDE Status timeout after upgrade to 2.0.x
3. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio
4. Informix Replication/High Availability
5. problem with LINUX (NFS server) and Solaris 2.7 (intel ) NFS client.
6. ARRGGGHHH!!! Firewall/router Misbehaving!!!
7. FC/2 NFS Client problem with Linux NFS Server
8. How do I configure apache to.....
9. nfs client problems with Sun solaris 251 server
10. NFS Problem: Linux server and SUN/HP clients
11. NFS backup auto mount on client when NFS server fail...!
12. Tracing NFS Clients on the NFS Server ?
13. Poor NFS write performance from Linux clients to NFS Ver 3 servers.