gnu emacs rmail and rs 6000's???

Post by Jim Hudge » Wed, 13 Feb 1991 06:28:44

[[[ posted initially to comp.emacs.  This comp.unix.aix may have been
    more appropriate...]]]

Anyone have any problems with this combination???

The following message appears when invoking  rmail in xemacs on a rs6000.

  movemail: permission denied for temporary file  "/usr/spool/mail/EJCICrx"

The easy solution is to change permissions of /usr/spool/mail.  I
hesitate to do that since the permissions are so different from other
machines, that it might be opening up some sort of security hole.
Has anyone dealt with this in a sane way?

We're running 18.56, which is otherwise almost perfect on these
machines.

Thanks for any info.

--
Disclaimer:  I didn't do it.
Jim Hudgens             Supercomputer Computations Research Institute

gnu emacs rmail and rs 6000's???

Post by Scott Ho » Wed, 13 Feb 1991 07:17:51

Quote:

>Anyone have any problems with this combination???

>The following message appears when invoking  rmail in xemacs on a rs6000.

>  movemail: permission denied for temporary file  "/usr/spool/mail/EJCICrx"

well, not on the IBM, but I have had the exact same problem on other
systems. My solution was simply to change the permits on movemail -
make it setuid or setgid, or whatever is needed to give it write
permits in /usr/spool/mail. Under AIX, making it owned by bin.mail
and setgid should do the job.

- Scott
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Georgia Tech                            UUCP: ..!gatech!prism!scott
Office of Information Technology, Technical Services

1. emacs, rmail, IBM RS/6000, and Aix 3.2

Hi,

We've got a problem getting emacs to read mail with rmail.  The version
of emacs we have on our system is 18.57.3  The system here is the
IBM RS/6000 running on Aix 3.2

I've been corresponding with the sys admin trying to get the the system
to allow the rmail command in emacs read incoming mail.  Whenever I try
to execute rmail in emacs I get the message, "Permission denied: renaming
/usr/spool/mail/ryanr, /usr/spool/mail/ryanr~"  It's been suggested to me
that this might have something to do with emacs running on Aix.  Does anyone
have any ideas of what the problem might be?  Has anyone seen any pertinent
FAQ's in the newsgroups I can look up?

Thanks,
Richard.
..

2. Socket Script v1.6

3. GDB and GNU Emacs for RS/6000

4. tia and slip

5. IBM RS 6000 and GNU EMACS compilation

6. XFree86 3.2+SIS 6202+ADI 15′′. HELP!

7. GNU Emacs: Has anybody ported it to the RS/6000?

8. HELP: telnet protocol detail

9. GNU Emacs on '6000 AIX 3.1

10. RS/6000 error msgs (Was: Re: RS/6000 survey - will post summary)

11. Fonts for InfoExplorer on RS/6000 (was: Re: Font problems on RS/6000 running X11R5)

12. Emacs Function Key Binding on RS/6000

13. Emacs 18.57 on an RS/6000