kproc???

kproc???

Post by Bob Stear » Fri, 26 Feb 1993 23:13:50



One of our machines is running fairly weirdly and one thing we have
noticed the presence of 8 copies of a program kproc running. Several
are owned by init and others are owned by process 0. One of the latter
has immense amounts of CPU time showing and several of the others have
lesser amounts of CPU time.

My questions are several: what is this program? why do I have so many of
them? why is the ownership so peculiar? why so much CPU time? why don't
man know anything about them? should I kill some of them?

Your attention to my problem is greatly appreciated.
--
Bob Stearns
University of Georgia

(706)542-5110

 
 
 

kproc???

Post by Vic Abe » Sat, 27 Feb 1993 05:46:37



> One of our machines is running fairly weirdly and one thing we have
> noticed the presence of 8 copies of a program kproc running. Several
> are owned by init and others are owned by process 0. One of the latter
> has immense amounts of CPU time showing and several of the others have
> lesser amounts of CPU time.

> My questions are several: what is this program? why do I have so many of
> them? why is the ownership so peculiar? why so much CPU time? why don't
> man know anything about them? should I kill some of them?

These are kernel processes for things like memory management, network
scheduling, etc.  Their presence is a positive sign that your kernel
is working.  Don't kill them.  Don't be alarmed, either when some
accumulate large amounts of CPU time, because some kernel activities
take that much.  Do be alarmed (maybe be surprised?) if you can run ps
and not find any kproc's.  :-)

 
 
 

kproc???

Post by John F Haugh » Sat, 27 Feb 1993 08:17:17



>My questions are several: what is this program? why do I have so many of
>them? why is the ownership so peculiar? why so much CPU time? why don't
>man know anything about them? should I kill some of them?

kprocs are "kernel processes."  They exist for various and sundry purposes
and most certainly should not be killed off ...
--
John F. Haugh II      | Quality is ... knowing who |  MaBellNet: (512) 823-8817
SneakerNet: 042/2F068 | your customer is and what  |      VNET: HAUGH at AUSVM8
[ DoF #17 ] [ TSAKC ] | your customer wants.       |  Disc: I speak 4 me, !IBM.  
 
 
 

kproc???

Post by Alton Bleds » Sat, 27 Feb 1993 12:37:09




>>My questions are several: what is this program? why do I have so many of
>>them? why is the ownership so peculiar? why so much CPU time? why don't
>>man know anything about them? should I kill some of them?

>kprocs are "kernel processes."  They exist for various and sundry purposes
>and most certainly should not be killed off ...
>--
>John F. Haugh II      | Quality is ... knowing who |  MaBellNet: (512) 823-8817
>SneakerNet: 042/2F068 | your customer is and what  |      VNET: HAUGH at AUSVM8
>[ DoF #17 ] [ TSAKC ] | your customer wants.       |  Disc: I speak 4 me, !IBM.  

But, John,  couldn't this also be pointing to a performance problem?
When the system is humming along you'll rarely see them.  I think the key
phrase was 'system is running weird' and depending on their appl. it is
perhaps time for perfmon.  --Not that I'm trying to sound Jamaican ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Al Bledsoe   214 869 3113 x 2015            home:214 327 2544


//I once had a 67 Charger with a 440 and a .513 Belvadere rearend,
\\and one bumper sticker that read: BULLSHIT!  It layed a lot of *...

 
 
 

kproc???

Post by Thomas Braunbe » Sun, 28 Feb 1993 02:58:30




|> >why so much CPU time? why don't

I'm trying to answer the CPU time question.
The kernel processes which uses some (in one case much) cpu time are
(should be the same on EVERY AIX system):
USER    PID   PPID   C    STIME    TTY  TIME CMD
root      0      0 120   Feb 05      - 80:11 swapper
root    514      0 120   Jan 01      - 15586:18 kproc
root    771      0   0   Jan 01      - 100:23 kproc
!! the uptime of this system is "up 21 days,   7:31"
!! these values are from a mod 950 which runs as NFS fileserver
!! AND runs 160 HCON SNA sessions AND around 400 user processes
!! during normal working houres. It is a busy but still fast system.

PID 0   this is the scheduler
PID 514 this is wait
        wait is a process running at fixed prio 126.
        it gets all the idle cpu time.....
PID 771 this is netw
        seems to be some network related process
--

Best regards,   Thomas Braunbeck
AS Software Service AIX, Germany

           All the opinions expressed are my own and
           do not necessarily reflect those of IBM


      DEIBM3M3 at IBMMAIL                     +49-6131-84-6800

 
 
 

kproc???

Post by Thomas Krossn » Mon, 01 Mar 1993 23:05:46



>USER    PID   PPID   C    STIME    TTY  TIME CMD
>root    514      0 120   Jan 01      - 15586:18 kproc
>PID 514 this is wait
>        wait is a process running at fixed prio 126.
>        it gets all the idle cpu time.....

It gets not only all the idle cpu time. krpoc (wait) is also active
when your system is waiting for block i/o to complete (paging!).
If kproc (wait) has taken very much of cpu time on a system never being
idle you have to check the amounts of memory of your applications to
improve the system performance.

Thomas


 
 
 

1. Does anyone know kproc?

Hi all,

Does anyone know what is "kproc"? Why it use up most resource?

   PID    TTY STAT  TIME PGIN  SIZE   RSS   LIM  TSIZ   TRS %CPU %MEM
COMMAND
     0      - A     6:11    7    12  5732    xx     0  5720  0.0  1.0
swapper
     1      - A     0:45  224   640   212 32768    25    36  0.0  0.0
/etc/init
   516      - A    12118:57    0     8  5728    xx     0  5720 68.7  1.0
kproc
   774      - A     0:13    2    16  5736    xx     0  5720  0.0  1.0 kproc
  1032      - A    32:55    0    64  5776    xx     0  5720  0.2  1.0 kproc
  1856      - A     2:13 56623    20  5740    xx     0  5720  0.0  1.0 kproc
  2138      - A     0:00   36   276    12 32768    37     0  0.0  0.0
/usr/sbin
  2328      - A     0:00    0    16  5728    xx     0  5720  0.0  1.0 kproc
  2632      - A    34:06 12892   100    36    xx     2     4  0.2  0.0
/usr/sbin
  2870      - A     1:56 49518    20  5740    xx     0  5720  0.0  1.0 kproc

Thanks in advance

Antony
--

2. Linux and sendmail problems...

3. kproc questions

4. NIS

5. listenpro kproc ???

6. Installing Unix

7. kproc 1032

8. lites on Linux ?

9. kproc

10. what is kproc?

11. kproc

12. Regarding kproc