how do I reduce the size of a filesystem?

how do I reduce the size of a filesystem?

Post by Matt » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have recently installed and then de-installed some software. The software
had been installed mistakenly into the /usr filesystem instead of a new
filesystem that should have been created for it.. Anyways, I have
de-installed the software, but the /usr filesystem is very very large as a
result. What is the way to reduce the size of the filesystem?

Thanks for your time,

Matt

how do I reduce the size of a filesystem?

Post by Kjell Norstro » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Since it's hd2 (/usr) the easiest (but not perhaps fastest) way is to
create an mksysb-backup and reinstall using "Shrink Filesystems: Yes".
Just to be sure, make dual backups....
Kjell N

Post by Johan Van Mengse » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I have recently installed and then de-installed some software. The software
> had been installed mistakenly into the /usr filesystem instead of a new
> filesystem that should have been created for it.. Anyways, I have
> de-installed the software, but the /usr filesystem is very very large as a
> result. What is the way to reduce the size of the filesystem?

Standard AIX only offers mksysb/reinstallation rootvg with certain options
set.

Faster will be the reduce software from Compunix, around 100USD for a 43P
system.
Check out http://www.compunix.com or contact me directly if interested.

Regards,

Johan

> Thanks for your time,

> Matt

how do I reduce the size of a filesystem?

Post by Dr. Marku » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> filesystem that should have been created for it.. Anyways, I have
> de-installed the software, but the /usr filesystem is very very large
as a
> result. What is the way to reduce the size of the filesystem?

- of all filesystems, /usr is of course the worst to decrease :(

1) create a bootable mksysb-tape of your machine
2) boot and install from tape
        select "complete overwrite install"
        select "shrink filesystems"

just my USD 0.02....

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

how do I reduce the size of a filesystem?

Post by Anthony Johnso » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

You can also use either Sysback or Storix Backup Administrator for AIX to
backup and reinstall the system, which is more complete and flexible than
mksysb. It allows you to seletively resize, move, or delete each filesystem
independently from the installation menus.

--
Anthony Johnson