Help! The DCE screen saver has gone insane!!!

Help! The DCE screen saver has gone insane!!!

Post by Dan Harkle » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

        I like having a locking screen saver, and I like the pretty displays
that DCE uses when it calls xlock, but the time to recover from a screen save
is annoyingly slow.  The drive really churns away for quite some time before I
get the unlock prompt.

        Worse than that, though, is what happened when I came back from the
holiday weekend this morning -- ALL modes of xlock were running simultaneously!
Multiple copies of them!  It looked pretty cool, actually, but I couldn't get
the unlock prompt to save my life.  I tried killing dtexec processes and then
dtscreen processes and nothing worked.  I eventually had to reboot the
machine.

        Anyone seen behavior like this before?  I know I can avoid the problem
by just using the "blank screen" screen saver, and calling xlock directly also
seems to have fewer problems, but it'd be nice if I could get the way I'm
using it right now to work.

| Dan Harkless           | "The sore in my soul                         |

Help! The DCE screen saver has gone insane!!!

Post by Dan Harkle » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

 >   I like having a locking screen saver, and I like the pretty displays
 >that DCE uses when it calls xlock, but the time to recover from a screen save
 >is annoyingly slow.  The drive really churns away for quite some time before
 >I get the unlock prompt.
 >
 >   Worse than that, though, is what happened when I came back from the
 >holiday weekend this morning -- ALL modes of xlock were running
 >simultaneously!  Multiple copies of them!  It looked pretty cool, actually,
 >but I couldn't get the unlock prompt to save my life.  I tried killing
 >dtexec processes and then dtscreen processes and nothing worked.  I
 >eventually had to reboot the machine.
 >
 >   Anyone seen behavior like this before?  I know I can avoid the problem
 >by just using the "blank screen" screen saver, and calling xlock directly
 >also seems to have fewer problems, but it'd be nice if I could get the way
 >I'm using it right now to work.

        Sorry, I meant "CDE" above, not "DCE".  Damn TLAs.

| Dan Harkless           | "The sore in my soul                         |

1. Running screen savers, but monitor doesn't go to sleep after XX min.

Any ideas why after XX minutes, my monitor doesn't go to sleep (power
management)? If I put no screen saver, then the monitor goes to sleep (I
can see my monitor light is orange that means turned off). The screen
savers don't even take up that much CPU (depending on which one I pick).

I am using RedHat Linux v7.1, Pentium II 300 Mhz, 128 MB of RAM, an old
Diamond Stealth64 3000 series card (4 MB VRAM), IBM P72 17" monitor,
etc.

--
           "Everything tastes better at a picnic...the ants, the sand,
                                                everything." --unknown

   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )   ICQ UIN: 2223658. Resume: http://apu.edu/~philpi/resume.html

2. REALLY? No low level graphics possible?

3. Where have all the X Screen Savers gone?

4. Linux Device List

5. Monitor went blank after screen saver setup on RH 6.0

6. Disksutie question

7. "Bus error" please help, I am going insane!

8. request-route <zombie>

9. Help me before I am going insane

10. Problems with Gnome Screen Saver and XScreen Saver

11. screen: going from split screen to full screen mode

12. CDE : Screen saver must lock the screen