AIX 3.2 disk upgrade?

Post by Bill Creage » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Smit shows compatible SCSI disk devices of up to 2GB on an AIX 3.2 system.
The only disk on this system is 1GB SCSI and it is almost out of space.

How flexible is AIX about new hard disks? Does a new disk need to exactly
match one of the listed supported devices? If a larger disk is added, will
its entire capacity be used or will it be limited to 2GB?

The preference is to add a new SCSI device to the existing controller
because the system is planned for retirement in a few months.

AIX 3.2 disk upgrade?

Post by gerbe » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Smit shows compatible SCSI disk devices of up to 2GB on an AIX 3.2 system.
>The only disk on this system is 1GB SCSI and it is almost out of space.

>How flexible is AIX about new hard disks? Does a new disk need to exactly
>match one of the listed supported devices? If a larger disk is added, will
>its entire capacity be used or will it be limited to 2GB?

Hi,
It's no problem to add a non-supported SCSI disk drive, just select the
type:
Other SCSI Disk Drive

You can use the entire diskspace, but for AIX 3.2 the maximum size for a
filesystem
is 2 GB, but you can create more than one file system on a disk.

Gerben.

AIX 3.2 disk upgrade?

Post by Ken Abrahamse » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

This hopefully would be obvious but if it's not an IBM disk, please remember
to format it for AIX before attempting to use it.
ken
===========

>>Smit shows compatible SCSI disk devices of up to 2GB on an AIX 3.2 system.
>>The only disk on this system is 1GB SCSI and it is almost out of space.

>>How flexible is AIX about new hard disks? Does a new disk need to exactly
>>match one of the listed supported devices? If a larger disk is added, will
>>its entire capacity be used or will it be limited to 2GB?

>Hi,
>It's no problem to add a non-supported SCSI disk drive, just select the
>type:
>Other SCSI Disk Drive

>You can use the entire diskspace, but for AIX 3.2 the maximum size for a
>filesystem
>is 2 GB, but you can create more than one file system on a disk.

>Gerben.

1. Strategy for new disk drive and AIX 3.2 upgrade

I'd like some advice from those of you who have upgraded to AIX 3.2.

We have a 530 with 670 MB hard disk.  Next Thursday we are getting an
additional external 1.3 GB drive.

At the moment, the system has all local software in the /usr partition
under /usr/local, and all users in the /u partition.  Both partitions are
straining at 96-98% capacity.  The system is configured for
uk-sendmail, as a local mail server, for DNS etc etc.

The new disk will give me plenty of scope for rearranging things.
Given that I hope to be upgrading from AIX 3.1.5 to 3.2 soon (if my
VAR ever gets 3.2 out), do you have any tips for how I should
rearrange things to ease the upgrade?

Should the new disk join the rootvg volume group, or become a new vg?

Should home directories remain in /u, or go into a new filesystem?

Is /usr/local a reasonable name for a partition containing local
software?

Any tips on how to distribute things between the old and new disks?

Many thanks in advance

Machines and Power Electronics Group    Tel:  +44 223 332798
Cambridge University Engineering Dept.

2. S.M.A.R.T Hard Drive Option - Compatability under FreeBSD?

3. AIX 3.2 upgrade inquiry?

4. SO_STRHOLD and STRHOLD

5. Upgrading AIX from V3.2.5 to V4.3.2

6. Serial port speed for USR Sportster

7. AIX 3.2 Upgrade ... Some advice please?

8. How to get gated to RIP out on a machine with multiple net cards?

9. Problems since upgrading to AIX 3.2

10. AIX 3.1 -> 3.2 upgrade problems

11. ECA-015 Ethernet upgrade / Aix 3.2

12. Upgrading to AIX 3.2