AIX/IRIX coexistence...

Post by Pierre Kennepo » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I was wondering if anyone had experience in a mixed IBM/SGI
environment where  data (non-ASCII) is shared between the two
platforms.  I have been told that binaries should be compatible
but I'm looking to hear about 'real life' situations.  [We have
some RS/6000 workstations and are deciding between an SGI or an
IBM SP solution for adding computational power]

Thanks,
Pierre

---
Pierre Kennepohl
Department of Chemistry
Stanford University
---

AIX/IRIX coexistence...

Post by Greg Wimpe » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Pierre,

> I think someone is having you on!!

> I have been using AIX since V3 came out in 1990 and this is the first time I
> have ever heard of AIX/IRIX binary compatibility (lets face it there have
> been compatibility issues between different leels of AIX.......).  Of course
> I may be wrong.

> In my experience there are very few cases where binaries from different
> manufacturers will work on other systems without some form of emulator.

> I would seek clarification from both IBM and SGI on this before you make any
> decisions!!

[snip]

I am wondering if the original poster was talking about "binaries" in
the sense of data files containing non-ASCII data (e.g. integers or
floating point numbers) as opposed to binary executable files.

Binary data formats should be IRIX/AIX compatible, as both machines
use the same format for numerical representation (big-endian, IEEE
floating point, etc).  I suppose the one thing to watch out for would
be 32-bit vs 64-bit integers, but you always have to watch out for
that, anyway.

Binary executables, however, will of course not be cross-platform
compatible, as SGI boxes and RS/6000s use different processors with
completely different instruction sets.

--
Greg Wimpey

AIX/IRIX coexistence...

Post by Pierre Kennepo » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I am wondering if the original poster was talking about "binaries" in
> the sense of data files containing non-ASCII data (e.g. integers or
> floating point numbers) as opposed to binary executable files.

Yup...  sorry for the confusion but I did mention "data (non-ASCII)
files" which was trying to imply non-executables.

Quote:> Binary data formats should be IRIX/AIX compatible, as both machines
> use the same format for numerical representation (big-endian, IEEE
> floating point, etc).  I suppose the one thing to watch out for would
> be 32-bit vs 64-bit integers, but you always have to watch out for
> that, anyway.

It turns out that in this case, there is the 32 vs 64 bit integers is a
problem with the datafiles.  It turns out not to be a big problem
anyways since there's a utility (for this particular app) which will
translate the binary datafile to an ASCII file which can then be
reconverted to the proper binary on the other system.  It's pretty
cute, actually.

Quote:> Binary executables, however, will of course not be cross-platform
> compatible, as SGI boxes and RS/6000s use different processors with
> completely different instruction sets.

Salut!
Pierre

---
Pierre Kennepohl
Department of Chemistry
Stanford University
---

AIX/IRIX coexistence...

Post by Daniel Packm » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Yup...  sorry for the confusion but I did mention "data (non-ASCII)
>files" which was trying to imply non-executables.

If you want to share binary data amongst several different
platforms, then you should look into platform-independent
formats such as

   netCDF: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/index.html
   hdf:    http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/
   fits:   http://www.cv.nrao.edu/fits/

Large datasets should never be put in ascii format.
In addition to machine independence, one also has a
readily self-describing dataset with metadata.

1. Coexistence of AIX PS/2 and AIX/6000

We are running the following configuration:

    AIX/PS2 (1.2) - 4 machines
    AIX/RT (2.2.1) (used as disk server)
    AIX/6000 (3.1 - 3002)  (new)

Till we got the "6000", I added users on 1 of the PS/2, using CRON
I copied the /etc/passwd file every-so-often to the other machines
(I now realize that I should have also copies /etc/group). With the
DOS-Merge product we had a problem - we couldn't write from DOS to
NFS-mounted filesystems on the RT (it's a bug, I think the APAR is
IX09598- unsolved as far as I know); reading/executing was o.k.

Now I tried to move the users' home directories to the RS/6000. This
causes some problems (note that the "6000" will not just be a disk
server, but also a compute server, therefore logins are required).
The problems are:

* The passwd files do not have the same format - I can't simply
  copy the files periodically.

* As for groups - I've got no idea.

* Should I perhaps begin learning about NIS (Yellow Pages) and use
  it ? Does the AIX/PS2 coexist well with a RS/6000 as NIS server ?

* Biggest problem - now DOS-merge can't even read files mounted from
  the "6000" (writing still causes the same problems as with the RT).

Last thing - when are we going to have just one AIX - not 4 operating
systems that happend to have the same "prefix" (AIX) ?

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to solve my problems with these
machines - till now, they seem like a waste of money, nothing more !
(this is unlike the RS/6000 used as personal workstations, which seem
to be working nicely, and usually quiet easily manageable via SMIT).

/Zvika

p.s. The PS/2's and the "6000" consist a TCP/IP subnet (over token
     ring) the 6000 is the gateway to an Ethernet, and of course, one
     couldn't define the nets via, smit, not even via odme as my SE
     tried to do.

Zvika Bar-Deroma                                  Phone: (+972)-4-292706
Faculty of Aerospace Engineering,                 Fax  : (+972)-4-231848
Technion
Haifa 32000
Israel

2. Log of when machines go down

3. AIX 4.3.3 can't mount other AIX NFS - HP-UX, Sol, IRIX ok!

4. una prueba

5. Mounting Irix 5.3 cd on non-irix (linux) system?

6. Looking for Linux developer resources

7. Follow Up: Irix 6.2 Hangs On Console Login ("amd" on Irix 6.2)

8. where is bridge configuration package

9. IRIX 6.5.3 - shell changes from IRIX 6.2?

10. NFS export to irix (think the problem is with irix)

11. Binary port Irix 6.2 to Irix 6.4

12. swatch configs for Solaris, Irix and AIX?

13. Market niche of AIX, HP-UX and IRIX