Slow network after 4.3.2 migration

Post by garbage.. » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

We have just migrated a site from AIX 4.1.5 to 4.3.2 and now have
chronic ethernet network performance. We get better response times when
dialling in on a 9600 modem! This is a 100 user site, but they get the
same response times when only 2 users are on! I can safely say that CPU
and memory are OK. It can take 4 or 5 seconds to get a response on
screen (but perfectly OK on a serial link).

I've tried netstat -v, but the collision rate is very low. I can't see
what would cause the 10/100 card to behave like this. What commands can
I use to check network performance or possible problems?

--
Chris Ryan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Slow network after 4.3.2 migration

Post by Snogfest Hosebeas » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Have a look at
your paging spaces
the speed of the ethernet adapter - lsattr -El ent0

what do you get from "oslevel" ?
Did you do a Migration or Preservation install ?

--
R1, TDM.Ghairly Ghast Ghat Ghuq.
Sometime AIX geek, and below-average volleyballer.

Post by Bill Pembert » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>I've tried netstat -v, but the collision rate is very low. I can't see
>what would cause the 10/100 card to behave like this. What commands can
>I use to check network performance or possible problems?

Check the setting of the 10/100 card.  Auto-negotiation has caused
problems for me, most notably it will pick the 10/100 part correctly
but will get the duplex setting wrong.

--
Bill

Post by jpar.. » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> >I've tried netstat -v, but the collision rate is very low. I can't
see
> >what would cause the 10/100 card to behave like this. What commands
can
> >I use to check network performance or possible problems?

> Check the setting of the 10/100 card.  Auto-negotiation has caused
> problems for me, most notably it will pick the 10/100 part correctly
> but will get the duplex setting wrong.

I ran into this exact problem recently. The card was running full duplex
on a half duplex net. Going into smit and manually setting it back to
half was the fix.

Regards,
Jon

Quote:> --
> Bill

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Slow network after 4.3.2 migration

Post by Gerry Thom » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

We had a similar problem in moving from AIX 4.2.1 to AIX 4.3.2.  I think
the problem you are seeing is caused by AIX 4.3.2's use of IP Version 6
as the default.  What seems to be most affected is Domain Name Services
(DNS).

You can change the behavior back to IP V4 (probably what your clients are
using).  Create/edit the /etc/netsvc.conf to look like this:

hosts=local4,bind4

Please repost to see if this fixed the problem.

Gerry Thome

Post by Chris Rum » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > >what would cause the 10/100 card to behave like this. What commands
> can
> > >I use to check network performance or possible problems?

> > Check the setting of the 10/100 card.  Auto-negotiation has caused
> > problems for me, most notably it will pick the 10/100 part correctly
> > but will get the duplex setting wrong.

> I ran into this exact problem recently. The card was running full duplex
> on a half duplex net. Going into smit and manually setting it back to
> half was the fix.

For me, changing from autonegotiation to 10Mps fixed it.

Chris.

1. Slow network traffic, (connecting 2 server is slow)

I have setup a Linux server with an 3c509B adapter. (The NE2000) did'nt
initialize all the time). With kernel 2.0.29 (slakware 96).

I have the problem, that when I make a telnet, mail or internet session.
It takes about 30 to 40 seconds before I get a login prompt or an POP3
apply or a HTML page. Assoon as I'm connected to a service it works with
normal speed. But just the connecting takes forever.

I had this same problem with my NE2000, so it can't be the network
interface card.

Can someone help me with this strange problem.

2. What does this cu "debug" output mean???

3. slow network=slow X?

4. A Plea For Advice

5. Slow response from Apache or just slow network?

6. RTM_LOSING: Kernel Suspects PArtitioning.

7. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

8. Alternative to Netscape?

9. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

10. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

11. Weird Windows 95 registry migration across network

12. Network Migration Survey

13. Network Group slow to appear in Network Neighborhood(NN)