AIX 3.2.5 -> AIX 4.3.2 problems/advice?

Post by David Forehand » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

We're going to be upgrading our RS/6000 Model 39H from 3.2.5 to 4.3.2 in the
next week or so.  Any advice as to problems I might encounter?  Is it best
to do a complete install (I really don't want to add all users again, and
reconfigure the network and printers).  Any info/tips appreciated!  Thanks!

David

AIX 3.2.5 -> AIX 4.3.2 problems/advice?

Post by Michael Fel » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

AIX version 4.3 permits installation on an alturnate disk. However, I am afraid
that only AIX version 4.X is supported.

Thus you could try a standard migration (keeps your user files) to 4.3.2, after
that, do a complete installation on an alturnate disk (this is only for the
rootvg, likewise for a migration) and compare the results. The "other" rootvg
can be imported as long as a different vg name is used - so you could still
extract your migrated user administration into your new installation.

Expect some problems. There are many standard applications that work
differently, partically in the IP area (e.g., when migrating to AIX 4.1 years
ago DNS (named) was the first one I ran into, named.boot and resolv.conf behave
differently). There are sure to be others in the application area.

Good luck

Quote:> We're going to be upgrading our RS/6000 Model 39H from 3.2.5 to 4.3.2 in the
> next week or so.  Any advice as to problems I might encounter?  Is it best
> to do a complete install (I really don't want to add all users again, and
> reconfigure the network and printers).  Any info/tips appreciated!  Thanks!

> David

AIX 3.2.5 -> AIX 4.3.2 problems/advice?

Post by AIXDud » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

From 3 to 4 - do a complete install. The time you spend reconfiguring is
nothing compared to the trouble you will have if you don't.

http://home.earthlink.net/~aixdude/index.html

Quote:

>We're going to be upgrading our RS/6000 Model 39H from 3.2.5 to 4.3.2 in
the
>next week or so.  Any advice as to problems I might encounter?  Is it best
>to do a complete install (I really don't want to add all users again, and
>reconfigure the network and printers).  Any info/tips appreciated!  Thanks!

>David

AIX 3.2.5 -> AIX 4.3.2 problems/advice?

Post by Jerald H. Mathew » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Not true!!! A migration install is painless. Even on a 320 with only
48 Mbytes of memory, a 400 and a 320 Mbyte disk drives it took less than
3 hours for the upgrade. With X11 even. No problems.

Even installed the Lotus Go Webserver for Web based SMIT. Nice product
and it is free. But Web based SMIT is kind of a resource hog though.

: From 3 to 4 - do a complete install. The time you spend reconfiguring is
: nothing compared to the trouble you will have if you don't.

: http://home.earthlink.net/~aixdude/index.html

:>

--
Regards,
Jerry M.

1. AIX 3 -> Aix 4 problems

Hello,

Apparently there is a difference between the icons (.px) on AIX 3 and
AIX 4. We were using (displaying some pixmaps in applications made in
AIC) pixmaps in AIX 3. Now we have updated our system to AIX 4 and none
of the pixmaps are displayed. If we open the pixmaps in the icon editor
on an AIX 3 machine, there is no problem, but when using an AIX 4
machine, we cannot open the file because it 'contains invalid data'.
Is there someone that knows how to convert those pixmaps to an AIX 4
compatible type or how we can use those pixmaps on an AIX 4 machine.
Thanks in advance.

Friendly greetings,

Wim...
Compu-Mark                                 Wim Nys

2000 Antwerpen                tel: +32-3-220 73 69
Belgium                       fax: +32-3-220 72 22

2. WANTED: secondary BIND/Hesiod name server(s)

3. How to map CECP <-> AIX Code for tn3270 for AIX 3.2?

4. krn stoped seeing my news

5. AIX 4.2 xlC_r4 --> AIX 4.3.3 Visual or gcc?

6. f2c,f77 on Linux

7. pthreads AIX 4.2 --> AIX 4.3

8. iBCS2 and segment.h

9. PPP AIX->AIX